March 6, 2011
ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 36 Florida State men’s tennis team (6-6, 1-2) lost to No. 17 Georgia Tech (8-1, 1-0) 6-1 today. The team will finish its spring break road trip on Tuesday when the team faces USF Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. Today’s match was head coach Dwayne Hultquist’s 300th match at Florida State.
“I thought Georgia Tech played a very good match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “It was a cold and dreary day. I thought they competed well. I thought we had a chance to win if Clint and Connor would have pushed their matches to a third set. I felt like the difference was that Georgia Tech won a lot of close set and really stepped it up.”
In doubles play, Georgia Tech took at quick lead winning all three matches. The No. 15 duo of Juan Spir and Kevin King gave Florida State’s No. 13 duo of Connor Smith (Tampa, Fla.) and Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) only their second loss of the season.
In singles play, the first match off the courts was the only win for the Seminoles. Sophomore Jordan Kelly-Houston (Christchurch, New Zealand) defeated Magin Ortiga 6-1, 6-0 on court five.
“I was very pleased with Jordan,” continued Hultquist. “I think it was his best match of his career and he won it decisively.”
The Yellow Jackets finished off the match by winning the next five matches. In ranked play, No. 16 Guillermo Gomez defeated No. 21 Mirzadeh 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 on court one which snapped his ten match winning streak. No. 50 Spir defeated No. 60 Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.) on court two 7-5, 7-6.
No. 17 Georgia Tech 6 def. No. 36 Florida State 1
1) No. 15 Spir/King (GT) def. No. 13 Smith/Mirzadeh (FSU) 8-4
2) Potvin/Smith (GT) def. Bucaro/Reed (FSU) 8-5
3) Gomez/O’Brien (GT) def. Bowles/Davis (FSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2
1) No. 16 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. No. 21 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2) No. 50 Juan Spir (GT) def. No. 60 Clint Bowles (FSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7)
3) Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Connor Smith (FSU) 6-4, 7-5
4) Kevin King (GT) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-1, 6-0
5) Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Magin Ortiga (GT) 6-1, 6-0
6) Dean O’Brien (GT) def. Anderson Reed (FSU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6, 3*, 2, 1