April 3, 2011
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 47 Florida State men’s tennis team (7-11, 2-5) was successful in doubles winning their 11th point of the season, but ended up dropping the match at No. 25 Wake Forest (9-8, 3-4) 4-3.
“It was a very good, hard fought match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “We definitely didn’t get the breaks. Vahid has been good for us all year and did have another good weekend going 4-0.”
After going 2-0 on Friday against NC State, senior Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) closed out a successful weekend by winning his singles and doubles matches today. Ranked No. 24 in singles, Mirzadeh defeated No. 63 Jonathan Wolff 6-2, 6-4 on court one.
In doubles play, the No. 12 ranked duo of Mirzadeh and sophomore Connor Smith (Tampa, Fla.) beat the No. 36 pair of Iain Atkinson and David Hopkins on court one 8-6. After being down two breaks, the doubles team of sophomore Jordan Kelly-Houston (Christchurch, New Zealand) and freshman Blake Davis (Austin, Texas) came back to win the match in a tiebreaker to help nab the doubles point. The duo beat Tripper Carleton and Connor Sherwood 9-8(5) on court three.
“I was proud of Blake and Jordan,” continued Hultquist. “They were down two breaks and came back and won the doubles in a tiebreaker. I thought that would help us with momentum.”
Also in singles play, sophomore Anderson Reed (Daphne, Ala.) won his second straight match in a hard fought three set match against on court six. He defeated Zach Leslie 7-5, 5-7, 7-5.
“I was very proud of Anderson winning at the end,” said Hultquist. “I was really proud of how Connor fought back and did a great job of coming back and winning the second set to put himself in position to win.”
Smith lost the first set in a tiebreaker, but did fight back to win the second set. Danny Kreyman posted the win over the `Noles on court four winning 7-6(8), 5-7, 6-3.
Florida State close out its home season next weekend with a 3 p.m. bout on Friday against Boston College and will honor seniors Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.), Owen Long (Tallahassee, Fla.) and Mirzadeh on Sunday at noon against Maryland.
No. 35 Wake Forest 4 def. No. 47 Florida State 3
1) No. 12 Mirzadeh/Smith (FSU) def. No. 36 Atkinson/Hopkins (WF) 8-6
2) Kreyman/Wolff (WF) def. Reed/Andres Bucaro (FSU) 8-3
3) Kelly-Houston/Davis (FSU) def. Carleton/Connor Sherwood (WF) 9-8(5)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
1) No. 24 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. No. 63 Jonathan Wolff (WF) 6-2, 6-4
2) No. 113 Tripper Carleton (WF) def. No. 91 Clint Bowles (FSU) 6-1, 6-0
3) Iain Atkinson (WF) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-1, 6-1
4) Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Connor Smith (FSU) 7-6(8), 5-7, 6-3
5) David Hopkins (WF) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-4, 6-1
6) Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Zach Leslie (WF) 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 1, 4*, 6