Feb. 21, 2010
The Florida State women’s basketball team takes to the road for a top 25 showdown at Virginia Monday night.
The Seminoles are coming off their fifth-straight double-digit win and have now won nine of the last 10 games.
Courtney Ward and Jacinta Monroe will look to continue their torrid play Monday night. Ward has elevated her game during the five-game winning streak and has moved into 13th on the NCAA assists per game chart.
Meanwhile, Monroe has turned in double-doubles in three of the last five games and became the first player in FSU history with at least 200 rebounds in each year of her career with the 11 board performance against Virginia Tech Thursday.
With a win the Seminoles would essentially lock up no worse than a second place finish in the Atlantic Coast Conference this year.
Series Virginia leads 30-10
Last Meeting January 7, 2010 – at FSU 68, Virginia 50
Florida State – Sue Semrau, 13th year
Career Record – 206-163
At Florida State – Same
Virginia – Debbie Ryan, 25th year
Career Record – 719-304
At Virginia – Same
In the Rankings
Florida State – AP – 10; Coaches – 10
Virginia – AP – RV; Coaches – 19
On the Air
Radio – WNLS • 1270 AM • Seminoles.com
Talent – Ryan Pensy, Melissa Bruner
TV – RSN (FS Florida)
Talent – Mike Hogewood, Debbie Antonelli
• The Cavaliers are led by preseason ACC Player of the Year Monica Wright who is averaging a league-leading 22.7 points per game.
• Wright also leads the ACC in steals per game with her 3.6 mark and has helped the Cavaliers rank among the top 25 in the country in steals per game at No. 21 this week with 11.1 per contest.
• Virginia has taken care of the ball as well on the offensive end maintaing a turnover margin of 5.0 ranking among the top 25 in the country.
• The Cavaliers have won five straight and 9 of 10 after suffering back-to-back losses to the Seminoles on Jan. 7 and Maryland on Jan. 11.
Last Time Out
• Florida State senior Jacinta Monroe had a season-high 20 points and 11 rebounds Thursday night to lead the 10th-ranked Seminoles to a 78-68 win over Virginia Tech.
• Florida State shot 44.3 percent, the 16th time this season shooting above 40 percent and had a 40-28 advantage in rebounds.
• Courtney Ward recorded her third consecutive game with at least 9 assists.
• Four different Seminoles reached double figures for the 14th time this season.
• The Seminoles won their fifth straight game, the second time this season that has happened.
Up Next For The Seminoles
• FSU will return home for Senior Night on Thursday, Feb. 25 when the Noles take on Miami at 7 p.m. The game will be televised on FS Florida. The Seminoles dropped a 78-70 decision in Miami on Jan. 10.