April 8, 2012
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No.26 Florida State men’s tennis team fell to No.21 North Carolina 4-3 today at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center, moving to 16-6 (7-2 ACC) on the season. This was the team’s last home match of the season.
“It’s a tough loss,” head coach Dwayne Hultquist said. “It was a hard fought battle and it’s tough when you lose and we needed some of those tiebreakers to fall our way.”
The Seminoles were swept in doubles as junior Anderson Reed and freshman Dominic Cotrone fell on court two to No.49 Brennan Boyajian and Cameron Ahari, 8-4. Sophomore Blake Davis and junior Jordan Kelly-Houston dropped their match on court one as No.29 Jose Hernandez and Joey Burkhardt took the match 8-6. Finishing on court three, junior Andres Bucaro and freshman Benjamin Lock lost to Oystein Steiro and Esben Hess-Olesen, 8-6.
The Tar Heels made the score 2-0 after Kelly-Houston lost on court on to No.43 Hernandez, 6-2, 6-2, however Bucaro was able to win his match on court three, 6-4,6-2, pulling the Seminole to within one at 2-1.
The one point North Carolina advantage would be extended after Stiero beat Reed on court six, 6-3, 7-5, making the score 3-1. Lock outlasted his battle on court five as he defeated William Parker 6-3, 6-4, taking the Seminoles back to within one at 3-2.
Moments later on court two, Davis fell to No.85 Boyjian 7-6(8-6), 6-3, sealing the match for the Tar Heels. Freshman Cristian Gonzalez Mendez was able to outlast Burkhardt on court four to win his match, 7-6 (7-5), 6-7(4-7), 1-0 (10-8), leaving the final score 4-3 in favor of North Carolina.
“Andres, Ben and Cristian all played well,” Hultquist said. “We needed Blake’s first set tiebreaker to fall our way as well as a couple of those second set and we’d still be playing. Tough loss, but a hard fought match.”
The Seminoles will hit the road for their final weekend of regular season play as they will face No.2 Virginia on Friday and No.51 Virginia Tech on Sunday. Florida State will then head to the ACC tournament in Cary, N.C., which will be held April 21-24. Check back to Seminoles.com and Twitter (FSU_MTennis) for more information.
No. 21 North Carolina 4 def. No. 26 Florida State 3
1) No. 29 Hernandez/Berkhardt (UNC) def. Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-6
2) No. 49 Boyajian/Ahari (UNC) def. Dominic Cotrone/ Reed (FSU) 8-4
3) Hess-Olesen/Stiero (UNC) def. Bucaro/Lock (FSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 43 Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-2, 6-2
2) No. 85 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 7-6 (6), 6-3
3) Andres Bucaro (FSU) def. No. 101 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 6-4, 6-2
4) Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. Joey Burkhardt (UNC) 7-6 (5), 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-3)
5) Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. William Parker (UNC) 6-3, 6-4
6) Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Anderson Reed (FSU) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 6, 5, 2, 4
Records: No. 26 Florida State (16-6, 7-2); No. 21 North Carolina (11-5, 8-1)