March 25, 2012
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No.40 Florida State women’s tennis team won their third match in a row as they defeated Wake Forest today 5-2 at the Wake Forest Tennis Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.
“The girls did a great job this weekend,” Head Coach Jennifer Hyde said. “Anytime you can go on the road and win back-to-back ACC matches, it’s a great trip.”
The Seminoles started out by capturing the doubles point. Junior Francesca Segarelli and sophomore Ruth Seaborne defeated Kayla Duncan and Rebecca Siegler 8-5 on court one. Freshman Leyla Erkan and junior Amy Sargeant captured their third win of the season as a pair on court two as they beat Ryann Cutillo and Brigita Bercyte 8-7 (7-4).
Wake Forest gave up two points as they fielded four players for singles, making the score 3-0 FSU. Seaborne came out and defeated Bercyte on court four 6-3, 6-2. Segarelli would finish the match by defeating Siegler in a three set tiebreak points, 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-2), making the final score 5-2 in favor of Florida State.
“Things are starting to come together for us,” Hyde said. “We’re playing better and smarter tennis. We can’t wait to get back home to defend our winning streak as we host Maryland on Friday.”
The 9-6 (2-3 ACC) Seminoles will return home to defend their three match winning streak as they will face Maryland on Friday 3:30 p.m. at and Boston College on Sunday at 11 a.m. at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. Check back to Seminoles.com and Twitter(FSU_Wtennis) for more updates.
1. Kayla Duncan (WF) def. Leyla Erkan (FSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
2. Ryann Cutillo (WF) def. Mia Vriens (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Rebecca Siegler (WF) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Brigita Bercyte (WF) 6-3, 6-2
5. No player (FSU) def. No player (WF), by forfeit
6. No player (FSU) def. No player (WF), by forfeit
1. Francesca Segarelli/Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Kayla Duncan/Rebecca Siegler (WF) 8-5
2. Leyla Erkan/Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Ryann Cutillo/Brigita Bercyte (WF) 8-7 (7-4)
3. No player/No player (FSU) def. No player/No player (WF), by forfeit