PITTSBURGH, Pa. (AP) — Leticia Romero tied her season high with 18 points and Adut Bulgak posted her 17th career double-double to lead No. 16 Florida State over Pitt 66-55 on Sunday.
Bulgak had 11 points and 12 rebounds while Shakayla Thomas added 12 points for the Seminoles (14-4, 4-1 ACC), who dominated scoring in the paint, 40-18.
Brittany Brown’s jumper gave FSU its largest lead of 23 points in the third quarter. Pitt scored the first 12 points of the fourth but could only get as close as nine on Cassidy Walsh’s 3-pointer with 30 seconds left.
Florida State led from opening minute. Romero and Thomas both scored six points in a 17-2 run that gave the Seminoles a 36-15 lead before Pitt cut it to 13 by halftime, 38-25.
Brenna Wise had 14 points for the Panthers (8-10, 0-5), who have dropped six straight.
POST-GAME NOTES COMPILED BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
· Romero’s game-high 18 points (7-of-12) also was her season high. She has nine games this season with double figure points.
· Senior center Adut Bulgak recorded her 17th career double-double, totaling 11 points and 12 rebounds. Bulgak is tied for her third among active players in the ACC in double-doubles, and is tied for the eighth-most in program history.
· Shakayla Thomas’ 12 points marked her 16th game in double figures this year. She has only one game this season where she did not reach double figures.
· Florida State forced 20 Pitt turnovers, the 10th time an opponent has committed 20 or more miscues.
· FSU outscored Pitt 40-18 in points in the paint, tying its season high for points inside in ACC play.
· The Panthers shot just 34.5 percent from the floor, the ninth FSU opponent to shoot below 35 percent this season.
· FSU improves to 3-0 all-time against Pitt, and is 11-6 overall against Pennsylvania-based opponents.
· FSU has started 4-1 in ACC play or better for the ninth time since joining the league in the 1991-92 season.
· Heading into halftime, junior point guard Leticia Romero tied her season high for points in the first half with 13. She also had 13 first-half points vs. Rutgers on Dec. 3.
· FSU was keyed by a 19-3 first-half run that stretched a 19-13 lead to a 38-16 advantage in the second period.