March 8, 2003 - by
Second Half Rally Comes Up Short As Women’s Basketball Falls 64-59 To Georgia Tech

March 8, 2003

Box Score

GREENSBORO, N.C. – Led by Tasheika Morris’ 15 points, four Seminoles scored
in double figures but Florida State, after coming back from 14 down, fell
64-59 to Georgia Tech in quarterfinal action of the ACC Tournament on
Saturday afternoon at the Greensboro Coliseum. With the loss, the Seminoles
fell to 16-12 overall while the Yellow Jackets went to 20-9 on the year.
FSU will continue practicing next week as the Seminoles await news of post
season play, which will be announced on Sunday, March 16th.

“It was a disappointing basketball game for us,” FSU head coach Sue Semrau
said. “I thought we played a tremendous second half. We held Georgia Tech
to 25 percent shooting. I was disappointed that we couldn’t get to the free
throw line more than we did. I felt like we penetrated like we needed to,
rebounded like we needed to and it was disappointing that we couldn’t take
advantage of that. Ten free throw attempts in a basketball game in the ACC,
I think is astounding.”

Neither team scored for the first three minutes of the game. Morris scored
the first bucket and what followed over the next 10 minutes were five ties.
Georgia Tech’s first lead came at 13-12 at the nine-minute mark. Then the
Yellow Jackets scored 17 of the game’s next 21 points to take a 14-point
lead. FSU pulled to within 10 with just under two minutes to play but
trailed 36-23 at halftime. Trinetta Moore led FSU with eight points while
Morris, who had just three points, had five rebounds. FSU shot just 34
percent while the Yellow Jackets, led by Sonja Mallory’s 10 points, shot 44
percent from the field and had a 24-19 rebounding advantage.

Morris hit back-to-back jumpers to open the second half but Georgia Tech’s
Fallon Stokes answered with back-to-back baskets of her own. Trailing again
by 13, the Seminoles went to work. After a free throw by Holly Johnson,
Katelyn Vujas scored five straight points for the Tribe and Johnson followed
with two more free throws to pull FSU to within five at 40-35 with 14:05
remaining in the game. Down seven at 44-37, FSU scored eight straight
points on baskets by four different players and the Seminoles found
themselves back on top at 45-44 with 8:48 on the clock. Five lead changes
and two ties occurred over the next two minutes. The Yellow Jackets led
50-49 and scored seven unanswered to pull ahead by eight with under four
minutes to play. FSU kept on fighting and back-to-back three-pointers by
Johnson and Linnea Liljestrand, pulled the Seminoles to within three points
with 21 seconds remaining, but the Tribe had to foul down the stretch. Tech
made seven free throws in the final 54 seconds of the game and came away
with the five-point win.

FSU shot 46 percent in the second half and held Georgia Tech to just seven
made field goals for 25 percent. However, the Yellow Jackets went 14-for-21
from the free throw line in the second half and attempted 20 more free
throws for the game than the Seminoles. FSU went just 5-for-10 from the
line for the game. The Seminoles also outrebounded Georgia Tech in the
second half to even the boards at 43 apiece for the game.

Vujas finished the game with 11 points and 11 rebounds while Johnson and
Moore added 10 points each. Angela Sutton had a career-high 11 rebounds.
Stokes led Tech with 18 points.

Related Articles