June 24, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – With the Florida State soccer season a little less than two months away from its season opener on August 21, many of the current Seminoles are spending their summer vacation fine tuning their skills in leagues across the country. Throughout the summer, Seminoles.com will provide fans an inside look at how the current Seminoles are performing both on and off the field.
The U.S. U-20 Women’s National Team began its tour of Germany with a win defeating England’s U-20 National Team 4-1. Sophomore Tiffany McCarty contributed with a goal in the first of two scheduled games for Team USA. The Americans will next take the field against the German U-20 team on Friday, June 26 at Wolfgang Meyer Stadion, in Hamburg, Germany. McCarty is joined with fellow Seminole teammate Casey Short on the U-20 roster.
For the second time this summer, Lauren Switzer was named to the W-League Team of the Week. Switzer led the Chicago Red Eleven to a 2-0-0 week as she tallied the game-winning goals in both victories. The St. Charles, Ill., native scored the game’s first goal (eighth minute) in a 2-0 victory over the Minnesota Lightning and followed that with a goal in the 27th minute in a 1-0 Red Eleven victory over Kalamazoo. In five games with Chicago, Switzer has registered 10 points on five goals in 360 minutes of action.
A total of 17 players are competing in the W-League and the Women’s Premier Soccer League this summer. Here is a look at where everyone is playing and how they are performing so far this summer:
Breezy Hupp – 1 game, 33 minutes
Tori Huster – 8 games, 673 minutes, 6 points (3 goals), 24 shots
* Statistical leader – t-2nd in shots with 24
Marissa Kazbour – 4 games, 69 minutes, 2 points (1 goal), 1 shot
Rachel Lim – 3 games, 70 minutes, 2 shots
Chicago Red Eleven
Jessica Price – 5 games, 174 minutes, 3 points (1 goal, 1 assist), 7 shots
Casey Short – 5 games, 244 minutes, 3 points (1 goal, 1 assist), 8 shots
Lauren Switzer – 5 games, 360 minutes, 10 points (5 goals), 13 shots, 2 GWG
* Statistical leader – t-16th in points with 10; t-9th in goals with 5
Hudson Valley Quickstrike Lady Blues
Amanda DaCosta – 5 games, 372 minutes, 1 point (1 assist), 6shots
Erin McNulty – 6 games, 360 minutes, 2 GA, 16 saves, 0.50 GAA
* Statistical leader – t-2nd in GA with 2; 4th in GAA at 0.50
Ella Stephan – 5 games, 364 minutes
Becky Edwards – 4 games, 244 minutes, 3 shots
Tiffany McCarty – 2 games, 180 minutes, 4 points (1 goal, 2 assists) 7 shots
Toni Pressley – 4 games, 333 minutes, 1 point (1 assist), 2 shots
Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL)
Katie Bolinsky – 5 games, 13 points (6 goals, 1 assist)
* Statistical leader – t-3rd in points with 13; t-3rd in goals with 6
Kimmy Diaz – 5 games
Margo McAuley – 5 games
Susanna Zorn –
W-League Team of the Week, May 28 – Lauren Switzer, Chicago Red Eleven
* Switzer scored three goals for the Chicago Red Eleven in a 7-0 victory over West Michigan. The goal by Switzer marked the first goal in team history, while it was the first victory for the Red Eleven in their inaugural season.
W-League Team of the Week, June 17 – Ella Stephan, Pali Blues
* Stephan controlled the midfield tempo for the Pali Blues in a 0-0 draw against the Colorado Force back on June 14. Stephan has played in five games for Pali this summer tallying 364 minutes on the pitch.
W-League Team of the Week (Honorable Mention), June 17 – Tiffany McCarty, Washington Freedom
* McCarty earned Honorable Mention honors after recording four points on a goal and two assists for the Washington Freedom in a 4-0 victory over Western Mass.