April 15, 2007
Tallahassee, FL – No. 14 Florida State (14-6, 7-4) women’s tennis team defeated Maryland (8-14, 1-10) at the windy Scott Speicher Tennis Center while honoring this season’s seniors Nicola Slater and Miranda Foley. Today, April 15, was Florida State’s second shutout of the weekend at defeating Boston College 7-0 on Friday, April 13. This victory marked the end of the regular season for the Seminoles.
“I’m pretty pleased with the way the regular season went,” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “It was a pretty drastic change from last year and the results we had, although they were close last year, this year we did a really good job of just putting ourselves in positions to win and taking care of business this spring. Very excited going into ACC Championships and post-season play.”
To begin the day, the Seminoles took two of the three matches to secure the point for the team. Freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, Texas) and senior Miranda Foley (Cambridge, England) came off the court first with an 8-3 victory over Lisa Miller and Elyse Steiner. Freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) and junior Tapiwa Marobela (Gaborone, Botswana) came off the court next with Brooke Rogers and Maggie MacKeever winning 8-2.
In a battle going down to the last set, senior Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) and junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) lost to Michal Amir and Marianne Baker 9-8 (7-1). The Seminoles were up 4-1, but the Terrapins battled back to win the match.
After clinching the doubles point, the Seminoles won all six singles matches to complete the shutout. Slater battled on the court again but came out on top against Baker 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 10-7. Macfarlane defeated Amir on court two 6-1, 4-6, 10-6. Winning 6-1, 6-2 was sophomore Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) over Rogers.
Continuing the winning trend was Walter over Steiner 6-2, 6-1 on court four. On court five Marobela won 6-0, 6-2 against Miller. Wente won on court six against MacKeever 6-4, 6-2.
The Seminoles finished the regular season with third year coach Jennifer Hyde’s best record. Florida State finished the regular season losing one match at home. The Seminoles compete at the ACC Tournament in Cary, NC Thursday, April 19.
No. 14 Florida State 7, Maryland 0
1. Michal Amir/Marianne Baker (MD) def. No. 19 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) 9-8 (7-1)
2. Lauren Macfarlane/Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Brooke Rogers/Maggie MacKeever (MD) 8-2
3. Miranda Foley/Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Lisa Miller/Elyse Steiner (MD) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Nicola Slater (FSU) def. No. 92 Marianne Baker (MD) 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 10-7
2. No. 99 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) def. Michal Amir (MD) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
3. No. 102 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Brooke Rogers (MD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Elyse Steiner (MD) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Lisa Miller (MD) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4, 1, 6, 2