Oct. 16, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – After being delayed for about an hour, the Florida State women’s tennis team had a strong performance on the first day of the Seminole Quad Tournament today, October 16. The Seminoles welcomed Auburn, Iowa and Florida International the squad’s first fall tournament in Tallahassee.
All three doubles teams proved their strength by winning all three matches. Senior Jessica Sucupira and freshman Francesca Segarelli won 8-3 against Auburn’s Fani Chifchieva and Plamena Kurteva. Also winning 8-3 were juniors Bonny Davidson and Katie Rybakova against Auburn’s Caroline Thornton and Paulina Schippers. Defeating Auburn’s duo 8-6 was junior Federica Suess and freshman Amy Sargeant against Myrthe Molenveld and Daniela Vukadinovic.
“The girls started off this tournament very well today,” FSU head coach Jennifer Hyde said. “I’m very pleased with how we came out of the gates with three solid doubles wins. I think we did a great job of playing with a more aggressive mindset, and were very committed to that on all three courts very early in the matches. That makes such a huge difference when you attack a match with that as a goal, and we were relentless with that this morning.
After such a strong showing on the doubles side of the court, the team did not back down on singles. Each Seminole won at least one set with five players winning their matches. Segarelli and Sergeant dominated their opponents winning 6-0, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-1, respectively.
“Our freshmen Francesca and Amy played some very good tennis today, too,” continued Hyde. “They absolutely love to compete and play with their hearts on their sleeves. They both have already made us a much better and deeper team and I expect I will have many positive things to say about both of them as their careers progress.
Davidson won 6-4, 6-2 against FIU’s Magali Holt while Suess won 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 against Maria callasciani of FIU. Sucupira fell in the second set but came back in the third to win 6-3, 4-6, 10-5.
“Fede and Jess both fought their way through third-set tiebreakers,” stated Hyde. “They showed a lot of guts down the stretch, which is what you have to do competing at this level. Bonny also played her way through some kinks and found her stride. Everyone did a great job, but now we have to improve upon today as this weekend progresses.
The Seminoles will be back on the court Saturday and Sunday morning beginning at 9am. Fans are encouraged to come be part of the action as admission is free at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Florida State /Auburn Doubles
1) Jessica Sucupira/Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 8-3
2) Federica Suess/Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) 8-6
3) Bonny Davidson/Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers (AUB) 8-3
Iowa /FIU Doubles
1) Sonja Molnar/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Chrissie Seredni/Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 8-3
2) Priscilla Castillo/Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Merel Beelen/Zuzi Chmelarova (Iowa) 8-5
3) Jessica Young/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Mariana Muci/Magali Holt (FIU) 8-5
Florida State/FIU Singles
1) Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Chrissie Seredni (FIU) 6-0, 6-3
2) Mariana Muci (FIU) def. Katie Rybakova (FSU) 1-6, 6-4, (11-9)
3) Amy Sergeant (FSU) def. Maria Spenceley (FIU) 6-2, 6-1
4) Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Priscilla Castillo (FIU) 6-3, 4-6, (10-5)
5) Federica Suess (FSU) def. Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
6) Bonny Davidson (FSU) def. Magali Holt (FIU) 6-4, 6-2
1) Fani Chifchieva (AUB) def. Sonja Holnar (Iowa) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-0
2) Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Myrthe Moleveld (AUB) 7-5, 7-5
3) Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) def. Cuzi Chmelarona (IOWA) 6-1, 6-7, 6-3
4) Caroline Thornton (AUB) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
5) Paulina Schippers (AUB) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 7-5, 6-4
6) Jill Hasteriath (AUB) def. Kelcie Klocvenga (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1