April 25, 2014
CARY, N.C. (Seminoles.com) – The 2014 ACC Tournament run came to an end on Friday for the No. 8-seed Florida State Seminoles (15-12, 6-8 ACC) as they were topped by No. 1-seed North Carolina, 4-0, at the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
“We were two points away from beating the No. 10-ranked doubles team in the country today, two points away from clinching at No. 4 singles and were four points away from winning at No. 3 singles,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “Kerrie went toe-to-toe with the No. 1-ranked player in the country and Daneika gave an unbelievably huge fight at the No. 2 spot.”
Doubles was very competitive on all courts, but the Tar Heels were able to edge out wins on courts two and three, each by identical 8-4 scores. The ITA No. 44 pairing of Daneika Borthwick and Kerrie Cartwright were on the verge of their fourth doubles win over a top-50 opponent this month as they were leading Whitney Kay and Caroline Price, 7-6, when the doubles point was secured for UNC.
The Noles continued to fight into singles, posting two first set wins by Mia Vriens on court three and Daniela Schippers on court four. North Carolina added second set wins over Kristina Schleich on court five (6-1, 6-3), Laurence Porry on court six (6-2, 6-2) and Borthwick on court two (6-2, 6-3). Both Vriens and Schippers were on match game in their singles matches when UNC closed out the match for a 4-0 victory.
“We were in that match from the start to the finish. I don’t think the 4-0 score speaks at all to how close the match was,” added Hyde. “I am very proud of the girls and how well we are competing and I am very excited looking ahead to the postseason because we are definitely starting to play our best tennis.”
The Seminoles now wait to see where they might play in the NCAA postseason. The selection show for NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis will be broadcast on NCAA.com on April 29 at 5:30 p.m. Florida State has made the NCAA tournament field each of the last seven seasons, including a trip to the Round of 16 in 2010.
Friday, April 25, 2014 – No. 11 North Carolina 4, No. 42 Florida State 0
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) vs. #123 Kerrie Cartwright (FS) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
2. #50 Caroline Price (NC) def. Daneika Borthwick (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Whitney Kay (NC) vs. Mia Vriens (FS) 0-6, 5-5, unfinished
4. #111 Ashley Dai (NC) vs. Daniela Schippers (FS) 4-6, 1-5, unfinished
5. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Kristina Schleich (FS) 6-1, 6-3
6. Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Laurence Porry (FS) 6-2, 6-2
1. #10 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) vs. #44 Daneika Borthwick/Kerrie Cartwright (FS) 6-7, unfinished
2. Jamie Loeb/Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Kristina Schleich/Duda Santos (FS) 8-4
3. Ashley Dai/Kate Vialle (NC) def. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,6,2)