Nov. 17, 2009
The Gators (1-1) led 62-60 with 2:02 to play, but the Seminoles scored the last six points of the game. Alexa Deluzio’s jumper with 37.4 seconds left made it 64-62.
Jacinta Monroe finished with nine points and 11 rebounds for Florida State (2-0).
Sharielle Smith led Florida with 18 points and 13 boards. The Gators were just 9 of 31 from behind the arc. Jordan Jones added with 13 points and five assists for Florida. She had a chance to tie the game at 65, but her shot from the top of the arc clanged off the basket with 7 seconds left.
Head Coach Sue Semrau Quotes
“It was a great rivalry game as it always is. We just have to give Florida a lot of credit. They rebounded the ball extremely well, especially in the second half. We have great depth and great complimentary players. They all stepped up tonight.”
On if she made any halftime adjustments
“We felt like we were just rushing everything in the first half. We weren’t reversing the basketball and when we were reversing the basketball, good things were happening.”
On FSU’s bench out-scoring Florida’s bench 33-7
“I don’t even think we have a bench. I feel like we have 11 strong players and five of them happen to start the game. I think that says a lot about who we are.”
– The Seminoles have now won 11 consecutive road contests. FSU went 10-0 on the road a year ago after going 6-7 on the road during the 2007-08 season.
– Chasity Clayton’s 13 points is the most by a freshman since Cierra Bravard poured in 16 against North Carolina on Feb. 13, 2009.
– The win snapped UF’s 17-game home win streak against non-conference opponents. FSU was the last non-SEC team that defeated the Gators, back on Nov. 23, 2007.
– Christian Hunnicutt’s 10 points, just two shy of her career high, is the most for the junior since she tallied 11 against Murray State on Nov. 28, 2008.
– The 19 minutes that Jacinta Monroe saw Tuesday night marked the lowest total for the senior since she saw 17 minutes of action against Northern Colorado (Dec. 18, 2008). Monroe still posted nine points and 10 rebounds despite her four fouls.