TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Seminoles.com) – No. 11/12 Florida State Women’s Basketball (14-1, 2-0) makes its third trip to Central New York as it travels to face ACC opponent Syracuse (13-3, 1-2) on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. on the ACC’s regional sports networks.
For Floridians, the game will be televised on FOX Sports Florida. The rest of the regional sports network affiliates for Sunday’s game can be found here.
The game at the Carrier Dome can also be heard on Seminoles.com and locally on WQTL 106.1 FM.
Sunday’s matchup is highlighted by the impressive point guard play from each team. Florida State redshirt senior point guard AJ Alix ranks in the Top 12 nationally in assists per game (sixth – 7.6), total assists (seventh – 114) and assist/turnover ratio (12th – 3.0). Syracuse sophomore Tiana Mangakahia leads the nation in assists (164) and assists per game (10.3).
• Syracuse and Florida State are two of the better rebounding teams in the ACC. Both teams have exactly 666 total rebounds entering Sunday’s game, although FSU is averaging more at 44.4 boards per game since it has played one less game than the Orange. FSU is 17th nationally in rebounds per game, while Syracuse is 65th (41.6).
• Senior forward Shakayla Thomas led the Seminoles with 17 points in last year’s meeting against Syracuse held on Jan. 19, 2017, in Tallahassee. FSU won 77-58 as Thomas became the seventh-fastest player in school history to reach 500 made field goals. Her 125 made field goals this season is seventh in the country, and she recently moved into second in FSU history with 725 made field goals.
• The Seminoles’ 14-1 overall record ties for the best 15-game start in program history with the 1981-82 (14-1), 1982-83 (14-1) and 2013-14 (14-1) teams.
• A win over Syracuse on Sunday would give the Seminoles a 3-0 mark in ACC play. It would just be the third time it has reached 3-0 in ACC play, joining the 2006-07 and 2008-09 teams.
• In her three games played against Syracuse, Shakayla Thomas is shooting 55.9 percent (19-of-34) and averaging 14.3 points. She has two double-figure games in three appearances vs. the Orange.
• In each of the last two games, Florida State has ripped down 22 offensive rebounds against ACC opponents North Carolina and Clemson. Seven of Ama Degbeon’s 12 boards in ACC play are on the offensive glass.