April 11, 2010
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 25 Florida State men’s tennis team (13-6, 6-3) defeated fellow ACC school Maryland (13-10, 1-8) 6-1 today, April 11. The Seminoles bounced back from last weekend’s defeat to Wake Forest and are now 4-1 in matches following a loss this season.
“It was a good competitive match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “I thought we played pretty well. Jordan may have played one of the best matches of the year. Vahid won pretty quickly and it was good for him to get the win. I’m just pleased with the tandem of Vahid and Jordan in doubles. We have a big week in front of us with Duke and North Carolina.”
In doubles play the No. 38 duo of Jean-Yves Aubone (Miami, Fla.) and Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.) defeated Ian Mansfield and Graham Knowlton on court one 8-4. Playing in only their second match together was senior Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) and freshman Jordan Kelly-Houston (Christchurch, New Zealand). The duo competed on court two and came off with the 8-4 victory over Tommy Laine and Sergio Wyss.
In singles play, the Seminoles broke most of their losing streaks to win five of their six matches. Freshman Anderson Reed (Daphne,Ala.) snapped his two match losing streak to win 7-6 (4), 6-3 on court six over Knowlton. After losing last weekend, No. 24 Aubone, a senior, also came back to win 6-3, 6-1 against Laine on court one. No. 40 Mirzadeh came back strong with a 6-0, 6-3 win on court two after losing two matches last weekend.
The No. 63 junior Bowles won his sixth match in a row to make him 13-6 this spring. He defeated Wyss on court three 6-3, 6-1 to clinch the match for the Seminoles. Kelly-Houston clinched his third consecutive match with a 6-1, 6-1 victory on court five over Ryan Lissner.
The Seminoles return to the Scott Speicher Tennis Center next weekend to close out the regular season. On Friday, April 16 the Seminoles have a bout against No. 19 North Carolina at 5:00 p.m. and then face No. 20 Duke on Sunday at noon for Senior Day.
No. 25 Florida State 6 def. Maryland 1
1) No. 38 Aubone/Bowles (FSU) def. Ian Mansfield/Knowlton (MD) 8-4
2) Mirzadeh/Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Laine/Wyss (MD) 8-4
3) Collins/Kiuru (MD) def. Bucaro/Reed (FSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1) No. 24 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. Tommy Laine (MD) 6-3, 6-1
2) No. 40 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. John Collins (MD) 6-0, 6-3
3) No. 63 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. Sergio Wyss (MD) 6-3, 6-1
4) Jesse Kiuru (MD) def. Andres Bucaro (FSU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
5) Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Ryan Lissner (MD) 6-1, 6-1
6) Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Graham Knowlton (MD) 7-6 (4), 6-3
Order of finish: 5,2,3*,1,4,6