March 30, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – On a day to honor head coach Jennifer Hyde for her career accomplishments, the current Florida State women’s tennis team was nearly flawless in a pair of matches on March 30 at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The No. 36 Seminoles (11-7) posted 4-0 wins over both Florida A&M (5-8) and North Florida (11-5).
“Today was a very good day,” said Hyde. “We are very happy to leave the tennis courts with two more wins under our belts. The girls did a great job of taking care of business. I was pleased with how hard we competed in our match this evening and especially proud with how our upperclassmen dominated the second match in both singles and doubles.”
The day started with an intra-city match against Florida A&M at noon. Mia Vriens and Kristina Schleich quickly won their doubles match on court three by a score of 8-0, while Daneika Borthwick and Kerrie Cartwright gave FSU a 1-0 match lead with their 8-2 win on court one.
There was an on court presentation between the doubles and singles portion of the FAMU match to honor Coach Hyde for becoming the winningest coach in FSU women’s tennis history. A banner and plaque were presented to Hyde by Florida State Director of Athletics Stan Wilcox to commemorate her 142nd win that she accomplished on March 22nd against NC State.
Singles against Florida A&M went smoothly as Cartwright (6-1, 6-0), Borthwick (6-0, 6-0) and Schleich (6-1, 6-0) quickly took straight-set victories to give Florida State a 4-0 victory over the Rattlers.
North Florida came to Tallahassee after already playing a match in Jacksonville earlier in the day and were very competitive on court. However the results were the same as the Seminoles took two wins in doubles from Vriens and Daniela Schippers as well as Borthwick and Cartwright to make it 1-0 FSU going into singles.
Florida State’s three juniors dominated on courts one through three and posted straight-set wins to sweep the Ospreys, 4-0. Vriens closed out her match at No. 3 first with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Marina Cunningham. Cartwright took down Simona Weymar, 7-5, 6-3, on court one and Borthwick clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Esther Zuniga on court two.
The Seminoles will next be on court this weekend as they take their final road trip of the 2014 regular season with a pair of ACC matchups beginning at No. 17 Clemson at 3:00 pm on Fri., April 4 and continuing on to face No. 8 North Carolina at 1:00 pm on Sun., April 6.
Sunday, March 30, 2014 – No. 36 Florida State 4, Florida A&M 0
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Alexis Dean (FAMU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Symone Townsend (FAMU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Mia Vriens (FS) vs. Shantal Blackwood (FAMU) 4-5, unfinished
4. Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Monet Graves (FAMU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Laurence Porry (FS) vs. Dominique Henry (FAMU) 3-6, unfinished
6. Duda Santos (FS) vs. Arrice Robinson (FAMU) 4-5, unfinished
1. Daneika Borthwick/Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Symone Townsend/Elysia Ortiz (FAMU) 8-2
2. Majlena Pedersen/Duda Santos (FS) vs. Shantal Blackwood/Arrice Robinson (FAMU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Mia Vriens/Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Alexis Dean/Dominique Henry (FAMU) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2)
Sunday, March 30, 2014 – No. 36 Florida State 4, University of North Florida 0
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Simona Weymar (UNF-W) 7-5, 6-3
2. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Esther Zuniga (UNF-W) 6-1, 6-4
3. Mia Vriens (FS) def. Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniela Schippers (FS) vs. Michelle Valdez (UNF-W) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
5. Kristina Schleich (FS) vs. Taylor Hollander (UNF-W) 7-6 (7-4), 2-1, unfinished
6. Duda Santos (FS) vs. Mariella Calderon (UNF-W) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
1. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Simona Weymar/Rebeca Pereira (UNF-W) 8-5
2. Duda Santos/Majlena Pedersen (FS) vs. Taylor Hollander/Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) 4-7, unfinished
3. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Esther Zuniga/Mariella Calderon (UNF-W) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,2)