March 2, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 34-ranked Florida State women’s tennis team (8-4, 3-1 ACC) defeated No. 56 Boston College at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center, 6-1. The Seminoles are 3-1 in conference for the first time since 2005 when they started ACC play by winning four of their first five matches.
“I am really happy with how our girls competed today,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “We are consistently competing at a very high level. You are going to have very few days in your college career where everything is firing perfectly. And every other day that you play, you are going to have to out-compete and out-will your opponent, and that’s exactly what we did today.
“It is really important to take this momentum into our ACC road matches against Syracuse and Notre Dame. We are going to enjoy this definitive 6-1 win over a good Boston College team.”
The Seminoles took control of the match from the very start, dominating doubles with two quick victories on court one and two. Kerrie Cartwright and Daneika Borthwick swept their opponents on court one, 8-0, and Mia Vriens and Daniela Schippers made quick work in their matchup and won by a score of 8-2.
Boston College would tie the match with their only point of the afternoon as Vriens withdrew from her match on court three. Majlena Pedersen led from start to finish in her straight set victory over Heini Salonen, 6-3, 6-2.
Cartwright continued to own court one and moved to 3-0 this season at the position as she took down Jessica Wacnik, 6-4, 6-3. Daniela Schippers had a straight set victory of her own on court four, winning 6-1, 7-6, over Jennifer Red.
Borthwick and Kristina Schleich had tough three set battles on courts two and five, respectively, but each came out victorious in the end. Borthwick handled Katya Vasilyev by a score of 6-1, 3-6, 6-3. Schleich narrowly lost the first set to Emily Safron, 6-7 (5-7), but came out focused and determined and took sets two and three by scores of 6-3, 6-2, to secure the victory and give Florida State the 6-1 win.
Florida State heads on the road for a pair of road ACC matches at Syracuse on March 7 at 2:00 p.m. and at Notre Dame on March 9 at 1:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 2 – No. 34 Florida State 6, No. 56 Boston College 1
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Jessica Wacnik (BC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Katya Vasilyev (BC) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
3. Lexi Borr (BC) def. Mia Vriens (FS) 6-2, retired
4. Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Jennifer Red (BC) 6-1 (7-1), 7-6
5. Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Emily Safron (BC) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-2
6. Majlena Pedersen (FS) def. Heini Salonen (BC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Jessica Wacnik/Lexi Borr (BC) 8-0
2. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Heini Salonen/Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC) 8-2
3. Majlena Pedersen/Duda Santos (FS) vs. Emily Safron/Katya Vasilyev (BC) unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,6,1,4,2,5)