Jan. 19, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida State women’s tennis team began their 2014 dual match season with wins over Stetson and UAB at the Indoor Tennis Facility on January 19. The `Noles faced off against Stetson in the morning and defeated the Hatters, 4-2, and topped the Blazers in the afternoon, 4-1.
“It was a good day. To walk away with two wins is a success,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “That was how we hoped it would go, and it was exactly what the girls put together. The first match was touch and go. First-match jitters definitely played a role. Not stepping up when we needed to step up also had an impact. But the good thing is that we were in a position with our back against the wall and we were able to come out on the right side of it.”
Florida State got off to a great start against Stetson winning the doubles point in convincing fashion. Junior Daneika Borthwick and freshman Emily Fanning won their match, 6-1, while junior Kerrie Cartwright and senior Kristina Schleich took down their opponents, 6-2, to give FSU the early 1-0 lead.
In singles, junior Mia Vriens wasted no time extending the Seminole lead to 2-0 as she defeated Eveline Lepinay, 6-0, 6-0. It marked the second time this season that Vriens has won a match without surrendering a game.
Fanning later added another point for the `Noles defeating Andrea Crespo 6-4, 7-5. A pair of tiebreakers were heartbreakers for FSU as Borthwick and Cartwright each dropped their matches with a 10-8 score in the third and gave Stetson its only two points of the match, narrowing the lead to 3-2.
The match was clinched by an intense back-and-forth match by Laurence Porry. Needing a tiebreaker to decide the first set, Porry outlasted Stetson’s Lindsey Cable 7-6 (9-7) to take the early lead. After Porry broke Cable’s serve in the second set at 5-5, the senior was able to serve out the match with a score of 7-5 to give Florida State the 4-2 victory over the Hatters.
“I was really happy to win because it was my first home game ever since coming to FSU,” said Porry. “So I had a little pressure because it was my first time as a Seminole at home, but it felt good to clinch the match and show that I can do it.”
The second match of the day went smoother for the Seminoles with a 4-1 win over UAB. The doubles point was secured with wins by the pairings of Borthwick/Cartwright and Santos/Schippers.
Florida State would get points from three of those members in singles as well as Borthwick won 6-3, 6-0, over Rachel Daniell and Cartwright defeated UAB’s Catherine Ragon 6-0, 6-1. Fanning retired due to injury early in the first set for UAB’s lone point of the match.
Schippers would clinch the second match of the day with an impressive 6-1, 6-0 victory over Paula Castro.
“The first game I was a bit nervous, but a good nervous,” said Schippers. “I was really excited to play my first singles match as a `Nole. I already knew my opponent, so that gave me an advantage as well.
“I felt pretty solid and didn’t want to do incredible shots but just be solid because it was the first match. I think I was very consistent and so happy that my first singles match was able to clinch the win. It is really exciting and I can’t wait to play more games as a `Nole.”
The `Noles get back on court on Friday, January 24 at the ITA Kickoff in Austin, Texas. FSU will face Rice at 10am and will take on Auburn or Texas on January 25.
“We are at the beginning of a long five-month process, and to get through some tough times only makes us stronger,” added Hyde.
Sunday, January 19, 2014 – Florida State 4, Stetson 2
1. Daneika Borthwick/Emily Fanning (FSU) def. Diana Bukajeva/Isabella Fernandez (Stetson), 6-1.
2. Kerrie Cartwright/Kristina Schleich (FSU) def. MayaBlue Stauffer-Macdowell/Andrea Crespo (Stetson), 6-2
3. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FSU) vs. Lindsey Cable/Eveline Lepinay (Stetson), DNF
Order of finish – 1, 2
1. Diana Bukajeva (Stetson) def. Daneika Borthwick (FSU), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Emily Fanning (FSU) def. Andrea Crespo (Stetson), 6-4, 7-5
3. Isabella Fernandez (Stetson) def. Kerrie Cartwright (FSU), 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Eveline Lepinay (Stetson), 6-0, 6-0
5. Laurence Porry (FSU) def. Lindsey Cable (Stetson) 7-6 (9-7), 7-5
6. Duda Santos (FSU) vs. Carolina Meregalli (Stetson), DNF
Order of finish – 4, 3, 2, 1, 5
Sunday, January 19, 2014 – Florida State 4, UAB 1
1. Daneika Borthwick/Kerrie Cartwright (FSU) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB), 6-3
2. Laurence Porry/Kristina Schleich (FSU) vs. Pardis Kianoush/Catherine Ragon (UAB), DNF
3. Duda Santos/Daniela Schippers (FSU) def. Amy Lowther/Paula Castro (UAB), 6-1
Order of finish – 1, 3
1. Daneika Borthwick (FSU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB), 6-2, 6-0
2. Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Emily Fanning (FSU), 1-1, ret. (inj.)
3. Kerrie Cartwright (FSU) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB), 6-0, 6-1
4. Kristina Schleich (FSU) vs. Pardis Kianoush (UAB), DNF
5. Laurence Porry (FSU) vs. Elaine Simon (UAB), DNF
6. Daniela Schippers (FSU) def. Paula Castro (UAB), 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish – 2, 1, 3, 6