Jan. 20, 2006
EVANSTON, Ill. – The Florida State women’s tennis team wrapped up its opening day of the Wildcat Invitational on the campus of Northwestern University with a 2-4 record against No. 48 New Mexico and No. 44 Iowa. The tournament, which consists of two-full doubles matches for each team, continues through Sunday (Jan. 22).
Playing without 18th-ranked Seminole Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany), Florida State went 1-2 versus the Lobos and Hawkeyes in doubles play. Senior Alina Mihailescu (Constanta, Romania) and Tapiwa Marobela (Gaborone, Botswana), Florida State’s only returning players from a squad that finished 11-12 last season, claimed both victories for the Seminoles at the No. 3 doubles position.
In the first showdown of the day, FSU faced New Mexico and fell at the top two spots. The Suzanna Mansour (Green Acres, Fla.) – Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) duo suffered an 8-3 setback to Maja Kovacek and Ola Abou-Zekry at No. 1 doubles and Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) and Whitney Eber (Naples, Fla.) fell to Iva Gersic and Lucy Scott, 8-4, at the second position. The Mihailescu/Marobela pair overpowered Nora Quintal and Mackenzie White, 8-4, for the first FSU victory of the tournament.
Florida State found itself battling Iowa in the second contest of the day. Mihailescu and Marobela recorded an 8-4 victory against Krissy Dowlin and Jacqueline Lee at No. 3 doubles while the Mansour/Slater team fell to Megan Racette and Milica Veselinovic, 8-6. The Seminoles’ No. 2 team of Rynarzewska and Eber dropped a close 9-8 decision to Kayla Berry and Hilary Mintz.
The schedule does not get easier for the Seminoles as No. 6 Northwestern is the next opponent on the calendar. First swing is set for 1:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 20.
WILDCAT INVITATIONAL RESULTS–DAY ONE
1) Maja Kovacek/Ola Abou-Zekry (UNM) def. Suzanna Mansour/Nicola Slater (FSU) 8-3
2) Iva Gersic/Lucy Scott (NM) def. Ania Rynarzewska/Whitney Eber (FSU), 8-4
3) Alina Mihailescu/Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Nora Quintal/Mackenzie White (NM), 8-4
1) Megan Racette/Jacqueline Lee (
2) Alexis Prousis/Feriel Esseghir (NU) def. Kayla Berry/Krissy Dowlin (
3) Alexis Conill/Jamie Peisel (NU) def. Milica Veselinovic/Merel Beelen (
1) Maja Kovacek/Iva Gersic (NM) def. Cristelle Grier/Georgia Rose (NU), 9-7
2) Alexis Prousis/Feriel Esseghir (NU) def.
3) Jamie Peisel/Nazlie Ghazal (NU) def. Nora Quintal/Jennifer Ryba (NM), 8-3
1) Megan Racette/Milica Veselinovic (
2) Kayla Berry/Hillary Mintz (
3) Alina Mihailescu/Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Krissy Dowlin/Jacqueline Lee (