Back to Roster page
Capital Prep Magnet
At Florida State:
- Will redshirt the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules, giving her two more years of eligibility beginning in the 2018-19 year.
At Maryland (2015-17):
- Made an impact right away by starting her first collegiate game against UMass-Lowell, scoring 15 points with eight rebounds in 21 minutes.
- In her second career game against High Point, she recorded a career-best 19 points on 8-of-11 shooting in 22 minutes.
- As a freshman at Maryland, Gillespie averaged 5.1 points in 10.9 minutes per game.
- Averaged 4.1 points as a sophomore in the 2016-17 season.
- While with the Terrapins, she once nailed three 3-point field goals against Detroit on Nov. 20, 2015.
- Part of the growing trend of 6-footers who have extended range, knocking down a 3-pointer or making plays from the high post.
At Capital Prep Magnet:
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American.
- Heralded recruit who was named the Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year twice.
- Rated the No. 14 overall player by Prospect Nation as well as the No. 2 player at her position.
- Reached 1,000 career points in just three years and posted some memorable stat lines while dominating the amateur circuit in Connecticut.
- As a senior, she averaged 31.2 points and 16.2 rebounds and totaled 2,208 career points.
- As a junior, Gillespie averaged 22.4 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 2.1 steals and two blocks per game.
- Honored as the New Haven Register Player of the Year as a senior.
All About Me:
- Parents: Levy and Martina Gillespie.
- Major: Interdisciplinary Social Sciences.
- Favorite movie: Columbia Island.
- Favorite song: Upgrade you by Beyoncé.
- Explain a hardship you have overcome: Transferring.
- What shows are you watching these days? Power, Family Guy, American Dad, Brickleberry.
- Most gratifying thing you have been a part of? Team Impact at Maryland where we adopted a sick kid.
- Something many people don’t know about you? My middle name is Jennej (spelled the same forward and backwards).
- Favorite home-cooked meal? Chicken cutlets with mashed potatoes and sweet corn.
- Number of brothers and sisters? Older brother, 21, younger brother, 8.
- If I were a genie and granted you three wishes, what would those wishes be?
- 1. A house with no mortgage.
- 2. Wealth.
- 3. Good health.
- If a movie was being made about your life and you could choose the actor/actress to play you, who would you choose and why? Sinale Lathan or Zoe Saldana.
- If you were to win the $500 million lottery, what are some of the things you would do? Take care of the family.
- What current issue/issues in today’s world most fascinate you? What’s going on in the White House.
- If you could choose to fight for or give back to any cause, what would it be and why? Scholarship funds.
- What is the most inspirational story you’ve ever heard? Inky Johnson, who played football at Tennessee who battled back from a career-ending injury.
- If you could spend an hour with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why? Beyoncé.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received and from who? My parents tell me “Don’t limit yourself.”