Nov. 3, 1997
TALLAHASSEE, FL — NC State won both the men’s and women’s team titles at the ACC Cross Country Championships for the third consecutive year. The NC State men totaled 28 points (20 ahead of second place Wake Forest) while the women scored 24 points in an easy victory (49 ahead of second place Wake Forest) at Seminole Golf Course.
Senior John Cline of North Carolina took the men’s individual title with a time of 24:06.6 over the 8K course. Cline beat out a trio of Wolfpack runners that finished second through fourth. NC State’s Chan Pons finished second for the second straight year, clocking in at 24:10.3.
In the women’s 5K, it was Wake Forest’s Janelle Kraus winning the individual title with a time of 17:07.0. Placing second was NC State’s Laura Rhoads, five seconds behind at 17:12.0.
NC State’s Rollie Geiger was named ACC Coach of the Year as both his teams took ACC titles. Geiger was Coach of the Year in 1995 & 1996 as well.
Final Team Scores: Men Women 1. NC State 24 1. NC State 28 2. Wake Forest 73 2. Wake Forest 48 3. Clemson 75 3. North Carolina 70 4. North Carolina 86 4. Virginia 110 5. Duke 117 5. Duke 111 6. Virginia 184 6. Clemson 157 7. Georgia Tech 188 7. Georgia Tech 161 8. Maryland 220 8. Maryland 227 9. Florida State 232 9. Florida State 247
* John Cline’s time of 24:07 was the fastest since Cormac Finnerty’s (Clemson) time of 24:04 at the 1991 ACC Championships.
* Florida State’s top finisher was Aaron Scheer, who placed 22nd overall with a time of 25:13.
* NC State had five of the first eight finishers.
* 17 runners finished within one minute of Cline.
* NC State’s five scorers placed second, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth, respectively.
* 17 runners finished within one minute of Kraus.
* The top finisher for the Lady Seminoles was Nicole Singleton, who was 33rd with a time of 18:29.
* NC State has won 15 of the 19 ACC Championships.