COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Florida State women’s tennis team (2-1) defeated the Harvard Crimson (0-4) 4-1 at the 2017 ITA Kickoff Weekend inside the Varsity Tennis Center on Sunday.
“We’re really happy to be leaving (ITA Kickoff Weekend) on a positive note with the 4-1 win over Harvard,” head coach Jennifer Hyde said.
“I was very happy with how well we set the tone in doubles, we came out very strong with some really good energy.”
The Seminoles got on the board first after claiming the doubles point, as junior Gabriella Castaneda and senior Daniela Schippers defeated Erica Oosterhout/Sabrina Xiong 6-1 and sophomore Julia Mikulski and freshman Andrea Garcia downed June Lee/Annika Ringblom 6-3.
“It’s always good to come out with a lead, which we did on courts one through three,”
Hyde said. “Andrea did a nice job- that says a lot about her ability to compete. (Freshman Nandini Das) did a great job of mentally winning that match, I was really proud of her effort.”
Harvard was able to tie the match with a victory on court five, but the Seminoles responded as Das defeated Jenna Friedel 6-4, 6-0, followed by Castaneda with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Oosterhout on court one. Garcia was on her way to a comeback win (3-6, 6-4, 3-0) on court six, but Mikulski clinched the 4-1 victory for the Noles with a 6-4, 6-4 win over June Lee.
“I’m really proud of how we made some significant adjustments from yesterday’s match to today’s match,” Hyde said. “The girls bounced back, responded unbelievably well and got the win.”
Next up, the Seminoles have their home opener, a doubleheader this Friday February 3 against North Florida at 10:00 a.m. and Florida Gulf Coast at 2:00 p.m. inside Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Florida State vs Harvard
Jan 29, 2017 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
Florida State 4, Harvard 1
1. Gabriella Castaneda (FS) def. Erica Oosterhout (HARVARD) 6-3, 7-5
2. Julia Mikulski (FS) def. June Lee (HARVARD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Nandini Das (FS) def. Jenna Friedel (HARVARD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Annika Ringblom (HARVARD) vs. Daniela Schippers (FS) 5-7, 4-4, unfinished
5. Irene Lu (HARVARD) def. Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) 6-1, 6-2
6. Natasha Gonzalez (HARVARD) vs. Andrea Garcia (FS) 6-3, 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
1. Julia Mikulski/Andrea Garcia (FS) def. June Lee/Annika Ringblom (HARVARD) 6-3
2. Nandini Das/Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) vs. Jenna Friedel/Irene Lu (HARVARD) no result
3. Gabriella Castaneda/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Erica Oosterhout/Sabrina Xiong (HARVARD) 6-1
Florida State 2-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,3,1,2)
For more information on Florida State tennis, check out: