June 17, 2014 - by
trads_fsu-trads-fac-speicher


Scott Speicher Tennis Center

With the first stage of construction completed in 1993, the Scott
Speicher Tennis Center at the Donald Loucks Courts opened its gates to
the public for the first time at a Children’s Miracle Network charity
tournament. Since then, many successful and prestigious tournaments
have graced the courts at one of Florida State University’s premier
athletic facilities.

At a cost of $1.2 million with another $800,000 for recent
additions, Florida State’s Speicher Tennis Center has become an
example of the increasing dedication and committment the University
has to all of it’s varsity athletic programs.


The Speicher Tennis Center houses 12 lighted hard courts, over
1,000 court level seats, coaching offices, men’s and women’s locker
rooms, an equipment and storage rooms and a public address system.
The growing pride Florida State has for it’s tennis program and it’s
tennis center was amplified just after it’s opening in 1994, when the
United States Tennis Association (USTA) awarded the structure it’s
“Top Notch” facility award.

The Speicher Tennis Center was named in honor of Lieutenant
Commander Michael Scott Speicher, a graduate of Florida State
University and the first American casualty during Operation Desert
Storm. By presidential directive, the facility bears the name the
“Scott Speicher Tennis Center.”

H. Donald Loucks was the program’s first tennis coach and is well
known as the pioneer of Florida State tennis. He began his coaching
career in 1936 at the University School of Florida State College for
Women where he coached all sports. This was the beginning of an
association with Florida State which crossed six decades, 1936 – 1980,
ending with his retirement as Professor Emeritus of Physical
Education. In 1942, while serving as an officer in the Army, Loucks
was stationed at West Point where he coached the plebe basketball and
tennis teams.


In 1947, Loucks became Florida State’s first basketball coach and
a year later was named the schools’ first tennis coach. His tennis
team was the first athletic team to have a winning season. The
varsity tennis courts were named for him in 1981. He served as Dean
of Men from 1957 – 1967 and was known as a servant of leadership,
service and devotion to many worthy causes.

The Speicher Tennis Center was designed by EMO/Architects, Inc., a
Tallahassee-based architectural firm, in collaboration with Global
Consult Group, Inc., an internationally recognized Tennis Facility
Design Consultant. The complex was funded by private sources and
supervised through the state university system of Florida.

Through it’s short three year existence, the Scott Speicher Tennis
Center at the Donald Loucks Courts has served as the home court for
all Florida State men’s and women’s home dual matches, the annual
Seminole Fall Classics, City of Tallahassee tennis championships,
various USTA regional and zone tournaments, the 1994 and 1995 NCAA
Men’s regional tournament and the annual Children’s Miracle Network
Charity Invitational benefitting Shands Hospital in Gainesville.



Directions


FROM: Interstate 10

I-10 to Exit 31. Go West on HWY 90 to Monroe St. Make a left and go
South on Monroe St. to Jefferson St. Make a right (Becomes Pensacola St.)
and follow to Chieftan Way. Make a right onto Chieftan Way into campus.
The Bobby E. Leach Recreation Center will be the first building on your
right, followed by Tully Gymnasium and Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The
Soccer Field will be directly across from Tully Gymnasium on the left,
followed by Mike Long Track.

FROM: Airport

Go South on Capital Circle to Lake Bradford Rd. Make a left and take
Lake Bradford Rd. to Stadium Dr. Make a right onto Stadium Dr. and follow
to Pensacola St. Make a left onto Pensacola St., follow to Chieftan Way
and make a right. The Bobby E. Leach Recreation Center will be the first
building on your right, followed by Tully Gymnasium and Scott Speicher
Tennis Center. The Soccer Field will be directly across from Tully Gymnasium
on the left, followed by Mike Long Track.

FROM: HWY 90 West (Quincy)

Go East on HWY 90 (Tennessee St.) to Ocala St. Make a right and take
Ocala St. to Pensacola St. Make a left and go East on Pensacola St. to
Chieftan Way. Make a left onto Chieftan Way. The Bobby E. Leach Recreation
Center will be the first building on your right, followed by Tully Gymnasium
and Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The Soccer Field will be directly across
from Tully Gymnasium on the left, followed by Mike Long Track.

FROM: Route 319 (Thomasville Rd.)

Take Thomasville Rd. to Monroe St. Make a left and go South on Monroe
St. to Jefferson St. Make a right onto Jefferson St. (Becomes Pensacola
St.) and follow to Chieftan Way. Make a right onto Chieftan Way. The Bobby
E. Leach Recreation Center will be the first building on your right, followed
by Tully Gymnasium and Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The Soccer Field will
be directly across from Tully Gymnasium on the left, followed by Mike Long
Track.


Related Articles