April 15, 2012
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 29 Florida State men’s tennis team (16-8, 7-4) dropped its last regular season match of the season with a 4-3 loss to No. 51 Virginia Tech (11-10, 7-4). With today’s loss, the Seminoles will be the No. 5 seed entering the ACC tournament next weekend.
“It was a pretty intense match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “The competitive spirits were definitely showing. I liked how we fought back. Jordan (Kelly-Houston) fought to be in position to win, Benjamin (Lock) fought back to win, Blake fought back to win although he wasn’t feeling great and Jason (Zafiros) did a terrific job to win. We had an upward fight all day. We evened it out but Virginia Tech stepped it up to win in the end.”
The Seminoles started out in doubles play, Virginia Tech won the first two matches to clinch the doubles point. Junior Andres Bucaro and freshman Benjamin Lock did win their match on court three, 8-7 (5), for their 18th win of the season.
In singles play, the Seminoles scored first as senior Jason Zafiros defeated Trpimir Kujundzic 6-4, 6-4 on court six. The Hokies tied up the match when Patrick Daciek topped Andres Bucaro 6-3, 6-2 on court three.
The Seminoles tied the match back up when sophomore Blake Davis took down Lucas Oliveira 6-3, 7-6 (7) on court two. Virginia Tech would go on to win the next two matches to clinch the match. Lock would go on to win the last match of the day in an intense three set match, 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-3 against Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci on court four. This marks his ninth consecutive win.
The Seminoles are the No. 5 seed at the ACC Tournament next week and will play No. 12 seed Miami on Thursday, April 19 at noon. All matches will be played at the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C. Check back to Seminoles.com for updates. The team can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 51 Virginia 4 def. No. 29 Florida State 3
1) No. 51 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. No. 47 Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-2
2) Daciek/Oliveira (VT) def. Cotrone/Reed (FSU) 8-6
3) Bucaro/Lock (FSU) def. Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) 8-7(5)
Finishing Order: 1,2,3
1) No. 44 Luka Somen (VT) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2) Blake Davis (FSU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 7-6(7)
3) Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Andres Bucaro (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6(7)-7, 6-4, 6-3
5) Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Christian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
6) Jason Zafiros (FSU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 6-4
Finishing Order: 6,3,2,5,1,4
Records: No. 29 Florida State (16-8, 7-4); No. 51 Virginia Tech (11-10, 7-4)