September 25, 1998
#21 Florida State Opens Conference Slate on Road at Clemson & Georgia Tech #21 Florida State at Clemson Friday, September 26 at 6:00 pm * Jervey Gymnasium #21 Florida State at Georgia Tech Sunday, September 27 at 4:00 pm * O'Keefe Gymnasium
ABOUT THE LADY SEMINOLES
* 1998 Record: 8-4.
* Conference: 0-0 in the ACC.
* Current Streak: Lost 1.
* Series vs. Clemson: Florida State leads the series 12-6. The Lady Seminoles swept the Tigers last season with a 15-13, 14-16, 15-4, 15-13 win in Tallahassee and 5-15, 15-6, 15-5, 20-18 win in Clemson. * Series vs. Georgia Tech: The Lady Seminoles trail in the series 3-10. FSU defeated Tech 3-1 in Tallahassee last season but fell in Atlanta 13-15, 15-8, 9-15, 7-15.
UCSB / Bellomo Classic in Santa Barbara, CA * #4 UC Santa Barbara 3, #19 Florida State 0 FSU lost leads in every game in falling to host UCSB 3-0. (Werrick 17k; Schneider 12k, 18d)
* #2 Long Beach State 3, #19 Florida State 0 The 49ers overpowered FSU in match 2 in California in 3 games. (Washington 9k, 8d)
* Pepperdine 3, Florida State 1
Faultering in game one, FSU eventually lost to Pepperdine 3-1. (Thornton 22k; Werrick 10k, 10d)
* #19 Florida State 3, Santa Clara 0
FSU used a game 3 rally to down the Broncos in its final CA match. (Thornton 20k, Schneider 12k)
#9 Florida 3, #21 Florida State 1
In Gainesville, the Lady Seminoles dominated game one 15-5, but fell in the next three in a close defeat. Washington led FSU with 14 kills and 20 digs. (Schneider 14k, 17d; Thornton 10k, 12d)
* Current Record: 7-3.
* Conference: 0-0.
* AVCA / USA Today Poll: Not ranked.
* 1997 Record: 26-8.
* 1997 Conference: 10-6.
* Coach: Jolene Jordan Hoover, 6th year at CU. * Starters Returning/Lost: 4/2.
* Standouts: Juniors MH Cindy Stern (4.17 kpg, 1.50 bpg) & OH Alison Coday (4.09 kpg, 2.09 dpg).
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets * Current Record: 11-5. * Conference: 0-0. * AVCA / USA Today Poll: Not ranked. * 1997 Record: 19-15. * 1997 Conference: 10-6. * Coach: Shelton Collier, 8th year at Ga. Tech. * Starters Returning/Lost: 3/3. * Standouts: Senior RS Carla Gartner (3.55 kpg, 1.91 dpg) & freshman OH Maja Pachale (4.1.0 kpg, 1.99 dpg).
HONORS September 4-5: FSU Classic Fiona Bolten -- Tournament MVP Susan Hawks, Holly Schneider, & Aisha Thornton All-Tournament Team
September 11-12: South Florida Classic Fiona Bolten -- Tournament MVP Holly Schneider and Aisha Thornton All-Tournament Team
September 18-19: UCSB / Bellomo Classic Aisha Thornton -- All-Tournament Team
September 6-13: Atlantic Coast Conference Jennifer Werrick -- ACC Player of the Week
FSU IN THE ACC Individual
Hitting Percentage 6. Aisha Thornton .330 7. Kate Hemlepp .329
Kills Per Game 3. Aisha Thornton 4.22 5. Jennifer Werrick 3.84
Assists Per Game 1. Fiona Bolten 13.38
Service Aces Per Game 9. Susan Hawks 0.34
Digs Per Game 5. Fiona Bolten 3.08 10. Jennifer Werrick 2.89 10. Holly Schneider 2.75
Team Hitting Percentage 1. Clemson .295 3. Florida State .269
Kills Per Game 1. NC State 16.88 2. Florida State 16.78
Assists Per Game 1. Wake Forest 14.89 2. Florida State 14.81
Service Aces Per Game 1. Duke 2.44 7. Florida State 1.33
Digs Per Game 1. Virginia 16.32 4. Florida State 14.62
FSU IN THE NCAA
Division I-A: Individual Through Sunday, September 13th Assists Per Game 18. Fiona Bolten 13.63
Thornton Takes Charge in California
* Junior middle blocker Aisha Thornton tallied 64 kills and 15 blocks during FSU’s four matches last weekend to be named to the UCSB Classic All-Tournament Team. Thornton posted a season-high 22 kills against Pepperdine. In FSU’s win over Santa Clara, she totaled 20 kills on a .514 hitting percentage and added 8 blocks.
* Aisha Thornton will be out this weekend after suffering a “bad left ankle sprain” in the final game of FSU’s match at Florida Wednesday night. She will be reevaluated early next week.
* Kate Hemlepp has missed the last four Lady Seminole matches with a strained hip flexor. She is questionable for play this weekend. FSU #1 in the District
* FSU took the top spot in the District III rankings released earlier this week. FSU is followed by Clemson, Virginia, and North Carolina in the top four. Georgia Tech is 10th.
IN THE POLLS
* With a strong finish last season, 6 starters, and 10 letterwinners returning, the Lady Seminoles have gained attention across the country. FSU is current ranked in both the AVCA / USA Today Coaches Poll and the Volleyball Magazine Poll .
AVCA / USA Today Coaches Poll Preseason #24 September 8th #22 September 15th #19 September 22nd #21
Volleyball Magazine Poll Preseason #19 September 8th #17 September 15th #15
* Florida State got some revenge during the South Florida Classic last weekend. Each of its three opponents had handed FSU a post-season loss in the schools’ previous meeting. South Florida eliminated FSU from the NCAA Tournament last year with a 3-2 defeat of the Lady Seminoles in Gainesville. In FSU’s last meeting with California, the Golden Bears knocked FSU out of the 1989 NCAAs, downing the Noles 3-1 in Tallahassee. Finally, the only meeting between Utah State and FSU came in the 3rd place game of the AIAW National Tournament in 1981. The Aggies edged the Lady Seminoles in a best 2-of-3 format 2-1. The revenge… FSU swept both South Florida and California and downed Utah State by a 3-1 margin. Campbell’s Big Debut
* 6’4″ freshman Norisha Campbell made her collegiate debut last weekend in Santa Barbara against #2 Long Beach State. The rookie MB tallied 4 attacks in limited action over 2 games.
DOUBLE-DOUBLES Through 12 matches
Fiona Bolten vs. Northern Iowa 55 assists 19 digs at South Florida 47 assists 18 digs vs- Utah State 60 assists 12 digs at UC Santa Barbara 44 assists 12 digs at Florida 50 assists 19 digs
Holly Schneider vs. Northern Iowa 17 kills 14 digs at South Florida 13 kills 14 digs vs- California 12 kills 12 digs vs- Utah State 18 kills 10 digs at UC Santa Barbara 12 kills 18 digs vs- Santa Clara 12 kills 11 digs at Florida 14 kills 17 digs
Aisha Thornton at Florida 10 kills 12 digs
LaToya Washington at Florida 14 kills 20 digs
Jennifer Werrick vs. Northern Iowa 14 kills 20 digs at South Florida 16 kills 15 digs vs- California 18 kills 11 digs vs- Pepperdine 10 kills 10 digs vs- Santa Clara 12 kills 10 digs