December 20, 2007 - by
Vote Mami Yamaguchi For Umbro College Player Of The Year

Dec. 20, 2007

Tallahassee, Fla. – Florida State junior Mami Yamaguchi is one of 21 finalists for the Umbro/Soccer New Net Player of the Year Award. Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player. Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award, while the remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six web sites, as well as from sponsor Umbro.

Fans can click on the following link between now and Wednesday, December 26, 2007 to vote for Yamaguchi.

  • Vote For Mami Here!

    In 2007, Yamaguchi became the single-season record holder for points, goals and assists with 66, 24 and 18, respectively. On the career charts, she sits first all-time in assists with 30 and sits second in points (94) and goals (32). The Tokyo, Japan native began the season registering a point in her first 10 games, while setting the school record by scoring at least one goal in seven consecutive contests. Yamaguchi registered a point in 22 of 27 games for the Seminoles this year.

    Yamaguchi finished the season ranked fourth in the nation in scoring averaging 2.44 points per game. At one point during the season, she led the nation in scoring for a record six straight weeks. Yamaguchi wrapped up the season as the only student-athlete in the nation to rank in the top 10 in the three major offensive categories (points per game, goals per game and assists per game). In 26 games this season, she registered 12 multi-point performances to lead the ACC.

    The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to three local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the Umbro regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site’s coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. Three at-large selections rounded out the nominations.

    The nominated athletes this year are:

    ChicagoLand Soccer
    Kristin Arnold, forward, Indiana University
    Cynthia Morote-Ariza, forward, Loyola-Chicago
    Brittany Bock, forward, Notre Dame

    Big Apple
    Sue Weber, defender, Hofstra University
    Christina DiMartino, forward, UCLA (Massapequa, NY)
    Yael Averbuch, midfielder, North Carolina (Upper Montclair, NJ)

    Philly Soccer
    Jillian Loyden, goalkeeper, Villanova
    Kylee Rossi, forward, Tennessee (Pennington, NJ)
    Alyssa Naeher, goalkeeper, Penn State

    New England Soccer News
    Meghan Schnur, midfielder, Connecticut
    Brittany Taylor, defender, Connecticut
    Katie Schoepfer, forward, Penn State (Waterford, Ct)

    Los Angeles Soccer News
    Lauren Cheney, forward, UCLA
    Amy Rodriguez, forward, USC
    Kristin Olsen, goalkeeper, USC

    Dallas Soccer News
    Ashlee Pistorius, forward, Texas A&M
    Kasey Moore, defender, Texas
    Kerri Hanks, forward, Notre Dame, (Allen, Texas)

    At Large
    Mami Yamaguchi, forward, Florida State
    Ashley Banks, forward, West Virginia
    Angie Woznuk, forward, Portland

  • Related Articles