March 31, 2006
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida State head coach Jennifer Hyde stressed to her team all season long about the importance of doubles play and that very lesson likely cost the Seminoles’ an upset bid over No. 24 Clemson Friday afternoon. FSU and Clemson split at courts 2 and 3 in doubles before the No. 1 pair of Whitney Eber and Nicola Slater dropped a 9-8(1) heartbreaker at the top position as the Tigers eventually won the overall match 4-3.
Florida State fell to 8-9 on the season and 1-6 in ACC play; Clemson improved to 12-4 and 5-1 in league action. The Tigers logged their eighth straight win today.
“Once again, this match proved how important doubles are,” said Hyde, who is leading a fledgling Seminole squad in the hardest women’s tennis conference in the country. “It’s frustrating at times for our players because they are so close to a break through. I have said it time and time again but I love the heart and fight of our team. Nicola Slater and Suzanna Mansour are playing great tennis and Lisa Nystrom Skold had a solid day. As a team, we have to find a way to win.”
Slater continued to play strong in singles, upsetting No. 113 Maria Brito 6-3, 6-3 at the third position. Mansour picked up a 6-3, 6-0 win against Kathi Gerber at No. 5 and Nystrom Skold logged a 6-2, 6-4 win over Marie Scriba in the sixth position.
In doubles action, the Mansour and Ania Rynarzewska pair garnered an 8-5 win against the Brito/Scriba team at No. 2.
The Seminoles are back in action on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. against No. 14 Georgia Tech.
No. 24 Clemson 4, No. 67 Florida State 3
1. Daniela Alvarez/Alexandra Luc (CU) def. Whitney Eber/Nicola Slater (FSU), 9-8 (1)
2. Suzanna Mansour/Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Maria Brito/ Marie Scriba (CU), 8-5
3. Kathi Gerber/Carol Salge def. Tapiwa Marobela/Lisa Nystrom Skold (FSU) , 8-3
Order: 2, 3, 1
1. Alvarez (CU) def. Rynarzewska (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Salge (CU) def. Mihailescu (FSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Slater (FSU) def. #113 Brito (CU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Luc (CU) def. Marobela (FSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Mansour (FSU) def. Gerber (CU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Nystrom Skold (FSU) vs. Scriba (CU) 6-2, 6-4
Order: 2, 4, 3, 5, 1*, 6