Feb. 9, 2002
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida State women’s tennis team rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat the Lady Tigers of LSU, 4-3, at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center on Saturday. With the win, the 35th ranked Lady Seminoles evened their all-time record against LSU at four apiece.
Sophomores Christina Denny and Anca Dumitrescu won the only doubles match (9-7) for the Seminoles in a tiebreaker as they defeated Amy McIlhaney and Amanda Mang at the No. 2 doubles position. In No. 1 doubles, Jessica Balbuena and Alida Gallovits fell to Bruna Colosio and Rocio Fantilli of LSU, 8-6. Tigers Tami Botts and Perri Budd defeated Lauren Walker and Amber Tantee by a score of 8-6.
The Lady Seminoles were more effective in singles play as they earned four wins to clinch the victory. At the No. 1 position, Dumitrescu was impressive as she defeated Colosio by a score of 6-2, 6-2. Balbuena defeated Mang of LSU in No. 4 singles, 6-2,
6-3. At the No. 6 position, freshman Meredith Fish had another strong performance as she defeated Budd by a score of 6-4, 6-3. It was Denny who earned a point for the Seminoles as she defeated Fantilli in No. 3 singles, 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-2. At the No. 2 position, Gallovits fell to Botts, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.
The Lady Seminoles will take on the Lady Owls of FAU on Sunday, February 10th, at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The match is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
#36 Florida State 4
#28 LSU Tigers 3
1. Bruna Colosio/Rocio Fantilli d. Jessica Balbuena/Alida Gallovits 8-6 (LSU)
2. Christina Denny/Anca Dumitrescu d. Amy McIlhaney/Amanda Mang 9-7 (FSU)
3. Tami Botts/Perri Budd d. Lauren Walker/Amber Tantee 8-6 (LSU)
1. Anca Dumitrescu d. Bruna Colosio 6-2, 6-2 (FSU)
2. Tami Botts d. Alida Gallovits 5-7, 6-3, 7-5 (LSU)
3. Christina Denny d. Rocio Fantilli 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-2 (FSU)
4. Jessica Balbuena d. Amanda Mang 6-2, 6-3 (FSU)
5. Amy McIlhaney d. Lauren Walker 7-6 (7-3), 3-5, retired (LSU)
6. Meredith Fish d. Perri Budd 6-4, 6-3 (FSU)