July 9, 2005
Tallahassee, Fla. — Florida State junior quarterback Wyatt Sexton flew to Hermitage, PA, Thursday to consult with Dr. Chandra Swami, the Sexton family confirmed through FSU’s Sports Information Office on Saturday. A world renowned specialist in the field of Lyme Disease, Dr. Swami confirmed the diagnosis of Lyme Disease, which has infected Sexton’s organs. Dr. Swami has recommended intensive i.v. anti-biotic therapy over a period of months. The disease is curable, but the estimated recovery time for his advanced stage of infection is several months.
In a statement released through FSU’s Sports Information Office, Wyatt’s parents, Joy and Billy Sexton, said: “We appreciate the many expressions of support for our son shown by those in our community, church and the Florida State football family. It has been a very difficult time for Wyatt. It has also been hurtful to Wyatt and our family to see some media reports that were simply not true. We expect him to fully recover. In the meantime, we ask that his privacy be respected.”
Sexton is a 6-4, 215, junior who emerged from spring practice as the first team quarterback for the Seminoles. FSU will begin practice on August 9. Sexton redshirted as a true freshman in 2002, but the NCAA provides a process for obtaining additional redshirt seasons, which would leave him with two years of eligibility.
QUOTE FROM DR. S. CHANDRA SWAMI
“Wyatt has active Lyme Disease that has resulted in neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular deficits. I have strongly recommended intensive therapy with a goal to obtain an optimal state of health. This should include academics and athletics. He should not be stressed by these two disciplines for now.”
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH Bobby Bowden
“We have been waiting for the examinations to be completed and a report from the doctors before we made a decision. It looks like Wyatt will need several months of treatment and will have to miss the season. We will seek a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA.
Going into this, the only thing we did was come up with a plan A and a plan B. Plan A, of course, was if Wyatt was healthy and ready to go. Plan B was what we would do if he wasn’t able to go. Obviously, now we have to go with plan B.
Xavier (Lee) and Drew (Weatherford) will start out even when we return to practice and we’ll have three-and-a half weeks to see if one can separate himself from the other. If not, we will go into the season with two quarterbacks ready to go.
I feel very good about Xavier and Drew because they look like they have what you are looking for in a quarterback prospect. They don’t have the time you would want them to have, that’s one thing that isn’t in their favor. They will have to speed up the process of getting mentally and physically ready to play because one of them is going to start against Miami. We would love to have experience, but I’d rather have talent over experience. There is definitely a lot of talent there with those two quarterbacks.
It may come down to flipping a coin as to who starts the season. We will go day-to-day with it. They will both get equal reps with the first team no matter what.”