After weather delayed the start of the tournament, Florida State was able to pull out a quick ranked win over conference opponent Georgia State. The Seminoles are the only CCSA team undefeated in conference play, and will face LSU Sunday (April 15) in its final conference matchup before the CCSA Championships.
The event continues on Sunday as the Seminoles face LSU and Jacksonville State to close out the regular season.
#7 Florida State def. #11 Georgia State 5-0
- Vanessa Freire/Tory Paranagua (FSU) def. Teegan Van Gunst/Annika Van Gunst (GSU) 21-11, 21-12
- Katie Horton/Hailey Luke (FSU) def. Tiffany Creamer/Brooke Weiner (GSU) 21-15, 21-13
- Sara Putt/Macy Jerger (FSU) def. Olivia Stasevich/Georgia Johnson (GSU) 21-17, 21-18
- Molly McBain/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) def. Kate Novack/Amie Held (GSU) 21-14, 21-19
- Eva Torruella/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) def. Allie Elson/Ashley McGinn (GSU) 21-14, 21-14
Ext. Madison Fitzpatrick/Alaina Chacon (FSU) def. Eden Hawes/Ashley Bauchert (GSU) 21-16, 23-21
#7 Florida State def. Houston Baptist 5-0
- Vanessa Freire/Tory Paranagua (FSU) def. Jessica Wooten/Aeriel Horton (HBU) 21-13, 21-18
- Katie Horton/Hailey Luke (FSU) def. Kayla Armer/Tori Hinojosa (HBU) 13-21, 21-16, 15-9
- Sara Putt/Macy Jerger (FSU) def. Bailey Banks/Katya Silveria (HBU) 22-20, 21-11
- Molly McBain/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) def. Kali Fluke/Brennan Miller (HBU) 21-15, 19-21, 15-12
- Eva Torruella/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) def. Danielle Wheeler/Mikayla Vivens (HBU) 21-14, 21-7
Ext. Madison Fitzpatrick/Alaina Chacon (FSU) def. Jordyn Miller/Meagan Carter (HBU) 21-12, 16-21, 15-8
#7 Florida State def. New Orleans 0
- Vanessa Freire/Tory Paranagua (FSU) def. Rachel Kuhn/Veronica Corcoran (UNO) 21-12, 21-10
- Katie Horton/Hailey Luke (FSU) def. Cara Sander/Victoria Corcoran (UNO) 21-7, 21-17
- Sara Putt/Macy Jerger (FSU) def. Jordan Schumacher/Kaitlyn Grice (UNO) 21-12, 21-13
- Francesca Goncalves/Eva Torruella (FSU) def. Blessing Dunn/Brianna Vega (UNO) 21-7, 21-13
- Ali Eager/Nikki Esposito (FSU) def. Maxine Walsh/Ally Carr (UNO) 21-16, 19-21, 15-9
Ext. Bailey Reardon/Marielle Diaz (FSU) def. Madison Miller/Rhyan Rand (UNO) 21-13, 21-14
Match #4: No. 8 LSU
LSU started off the season with a big win over then-No. 14 Cal Poly, and later took down No. 2 USC at the East Meets West Challenge. With a CCSA 6-4 record, the Tigers have defeated UNC Wilmington, Florida Atlantic, College of Charleston, Tulane and UAB.
This will be the only time the Seminoles are able to see one of the CCSA’s top programs before the conference championships the following weekend.
Florida State is undefeated against the Tigers. Three of FSU’s five wins in the series have come under head coach Brooke Niles, one of which was in Baton Rouge.
Match #5: Jacksonville State
Jacksonville State is in its third year as a program after beginning the first year beach volleyball was recognized as an NCAA sport (2016). This will be the first time the Seminoles and the Gamecocks have met.
Florida State will be the sixth CCSA team the Gamecocks see this year, as the team has already faced UAB, UNC Wilmington, Georgia State, LSU and South Carolina. Jacksonville State has earned a majority of their wins at the No. 1 and 5 positions, earning three points in each position.
Records to Watch
- Tory Paranagua
- With a 92-24 dual record, Paranagua now holds the record for the most career dual match victories in program history.
- Her 105-29 overall record makes her the fifth player in FSU history to reach 100 career wins.
- Her 22-7 record at the No. 1 position places fourth in program history.
- Her 42-7 record at the No. 2 position is the second most ever earned at FSU. Three more wins will take the record (Kristina Pellitteri leads with a 44-8 record).
- Vanessa Freire
- Her 89-30 career dual record ranks second in program history, right behind her partner’s 92 career dual wins.
- Her 99-33 career overall wins ranks 6th all-time, right behind Paranagua once again. One more win makes her the sixth player to reach 100 overall wins in FSU history.
- Her 36-13 record in the No. 2 position ranks third all-time behind Paranagua’s 42 wins and Pellitteri’s 44.
- Macy Jerger is only two wins away from setting the record for most wins earned in the No. 3 position in program history. She has a 34-10 record on the second court, while Sierra Sanchez holds the record with 35 wins.
- Katie Horton now holds the record for most wins at the No. 4 position with a 30-11 record. Francesca Goncalves and Hailey Luke are both tied for the sixth-most wins on the fourth court, each with a 15-4 record.
- Four current players rank in the top-5 for most wins at No. 5, as Hailey Luke leads with a 42-16 record, followed by Eva Torruella coming in second (22-6), Nikki Esposito coming in third (19-11) and Molly McBain tied for fourth with a 15-5 record.
Follow the team on Facebook (Florida State Beach Volleyball), Twitter (FSU_BeachVB) and Instagram (FSUbeachvolleyball).