April 13, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Seminoles.com) – The No. 45 Florida State Seminoles (13-10, 5-7 ACC) picked up two big wins on April 13 – an ACC win over Pitt (4-13, 0-13 ACC) by a score of 5-2 and a 4-1 win at Florida A&M later in the afternoon.
“You can always expect a good battle in all of the ACC matches during a season, and today didn’t disappoint,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “Pitt was a feisty group, but I was glad with the class, poise and competitiveness that our team responded with today. We once again set the tone of the match in doubles. We are still working to find our best combinations up and down the line, but I feel like we are getting closer.
“We need to continue to set an aggressive tone at the start of our singles matches. This has improved over the course of the season, and we need to keep getting better with this. We need to continue to get better at putting our foot to the pedal.”
In the early match against Pitt, the Seminoles controlled the doubles point as the No. 77-ranked pairing of Daneika Borthwick and Kerrie Cartwright took an easy court one win, 8-3, which was quickly followed up by Duda Santos and Daniela Schippers taking a nice 8-5 win on court three.
Singles played out in Florida State’s favor as well, despite Pitt’s Taylor Washington tying the match at 1-1 with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Kerrie Cartwright on court two. The `Noles posted four straight singles wins after that by Borthwick (6-1, 6-4), Kristina Schleich (6-0, 6-4), Schippers (6-1, 6-4) and Vriens (6-3, 6-3) to make it 5-1 FSU.
Amanda Wickman gave Pitt their second point of the match with a tight three-set win over Majlena Pedersen. Pedersen took set one, 6-3, and Wickman answered back with a 6-3 win of her own. In the 10-point third set tiebreak, Wickman was able to outlast the FSU freshman and win 10-4.
Later in the afternoon, Florida State traveled across town and played a road match against Florida A&M. The Seminoles overpowered the Rattlers in both phases of the match after taking 8-0 and 8-1 victories in doubles by Borthwick/Cartwright and Santos/Pedersen respectively.
Singles was nearly a sweep for FSU, with Borthwick and Cartwright posting identical, 6-0, 6-1 wins on courts one and two. Schleich recorded a 6-1, 6-0 win on court five to clinch the match for the Seminoles.
Florida A&M did get on the board with a singles win from Shantal Blackwood as Mia Vriens retired at 0-5 in the first set to close out the scoring and give FSU a 4-1 overall match victory.
“In all of the matches we won, we did a good job of finishing,” added Hyde. “Pitt gave us a good fight, but we did well closing things out, and playing complete matches. With one last home weekend stretch of matches left, we are very focused on finishing our regular ACC season out right. Our home crowds were amazing all weekend, and we can’t wait to get them back out to support our young ladies again next weekend!”
FSU will be back on the court for the last weekend of the regular season with a match on April 18 against No. 4 Virginia at 3:00 p.m. and another on April 20 at 12:00 p.m. versus No. 64 Virginia Tech. Both matches will be held at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Sunday, April 13, 2014 – No. 45 Florida State 5, Pitt 2
1. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Audrey Ann Blakely (UP) 6-1, 6-4
2. Taylor Washington (UP) def. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) 6-0, 7-5
3. Mia Vriens (FS) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (UP) 6-3, 6-3
4. Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Katherine Castro (UP) 6-1, 6-4
5. Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Molly Wickman (UP) 6-0, 6-4
6. Amanda Wickman (UP) def. Majlena Pedersen (FS) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
1. #77 Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (UP) 8-3
2. Mia Vriens/Kristina Schleich (FS) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (UP) 7-6, unfinished
3. Duda Santos/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Katherine Castro/Molly Wickman (UP) 8-5
Sunday, April 13, 2014 – No. 45 Florida State 4, Florida A&M 1
1. Daneika Borthwick (FS) def. Alexis Dean (FAMU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Symone Townsend (FAMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Shantal Blackwood (FAMU) def. Mia Vriens (FS) 5-0, retired
4. Monet Graves (FAMU) vs. Daniela Schippers (FS) unfinished
5. Kristina Schleich (FS) def. Dominique Henry (FAMU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Arrice Robinson (FAMU) vs. Majlena Pedersen (FS) unfinished
1. Daneika Borthwick/Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. Symone Townsend/Elysia Ortiz (FAMU) 8-1
2. Duda Santos/Majlena Pedersen (FS) def. Arrice Robinson/Shantal Blackwood (FAMU) 8-1
3. Alexis Dean/Dominique Henry (FAMU) vs. Daniela Schippers/Kristina Schleich (FS) unfinished