Jan. 18, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Starting the chilly Saturday morning at the Indoor Tennis Facility and concluding the day outside at the Scott Speicher Tennis Facility, the No. 36 Florida State men’s tennis team topped both Florida Gulf Coast and The Citadel to advance to a 6-0 record on the season.
“I was pleased with getting an opportunity for several guys to get in the lineup today,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “It was good getting two more wins and a good start to the weekend. We look forward to Monday morning against Nebraska and hope to have a good crowd out here to close the weekend. I was pleased with Cristian, Marco and Grayson winning two singles matches, both in straight sets.”
The Seminoles beat the Eagles 6-1 in the morning by starting off right winning the doubles point. Senior Blake Davis and junior Dominic Cotrone won their first of two matches of the day while sophomore Marco Nunez and freshman Grayson Goldin teamed up for the first time of the year to win their doubles match as well.
Going into the singles, the Seminoles held onto the momentum winning all six first sets. Goldin won on court six first as he defeated Lance Lvovsky 6-2, 6-0. Sophomore Michael Rinaldi defeated Lucas Vaz easily in two sets 6-1, 6-2. Clinching the match for the first time in his career was Nunez as he won 6-2, 6-1.
Sophomore Cristian Gonzalez Mendez topped Dean Tsamas 6-3, 6-3 on court three while Davis won an exciting three set match 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5) on court two.
“I’m very happy about how I played today,” said Gonzalez Mendez. “I feel I’m playing better day after day and I’m glad I was able to clinch the second match. It’s always tough to play two matches in one day but I thought everyone did a great job getting early leads and winning their matches fast.”
The Noles closed out the day with a 7-0 win against The Citadel. Freshman Jack Haffey and Rinaldi teamed up in their first match together to beat Oliver Dedding and Connor Grady 6-0. Goldin and Nunez teamed up against to win 6-0 while Cotrone and Davis won 6-2.
With doubles behind them, the Seminoles came out with their sixth different singles line-up. Sophomore João Gauer won his first singles match of the spring as he won 6-1, 6-2 against Joe Bove on court six.
The last five matches all concluded within five minutes of one another to finish the match. Nunez won 6-3, 6-2 over Peter Bleach. Gonzalez Mendez clinched the match on court three with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Dillon Berkabile.
Goldin finished out his day against Jackson Pride on court four to win 6-2, 6-2. Cotrone bounced back from his loss earlier in the day as he defeated Elliott Sperr 6-2, 6-1. Freshman Jake Albo won his first match of the year 6-3, 6-1 over Dedding on court five.
“It was really great to get a win under my belt,” said Albo. “My teammates were with me the whole time and their support really helped my confidence going into the match. I can’t wait to travel to Gainesville next week and hopefully get another victory for Florida State.”
The Seminoles return to the court Monday at 9 a.m. Check back to Seminoles.com for all your information on the men’s tennis team and follow the team at twitter.com/fsu_mtennis.
No. 36 Florida State 6 def. Florida Gulf Coast 1
1. Cotrone/Davis (FSU) def. Tsamas/Vives (FGCU) 6-2
2. Goldin/Nunez (FSU) def. Bao/Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-2
3. Echeverry/Vaz (FGCU) def. João Gauer/Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-5 (7-5)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 66 Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Blake Davis (FSU) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Marco Nunez (FSU) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Lucas Vaz (FGCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Grayson Goldin (FSU) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
No. 36 Florida State 7 vs. The Citadel 0
1. Cotrone/Davis (FSU) def. Berkabile/Sperr (CIT) 6-2
2. Goldin/Nunez (FSU) def. Bleach/Pride (CIT) 6-0
3. Haffey/Rinaldi (FSU) def. Dedding/Grady (CIT) 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Marco Nunez (FSU) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez def. (FSU) Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Grayson Goldin (FSU) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jake Albo (FSU) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. João Gauer (FSU) def. Joe Bove (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 4, 1, 5