April 8, 2001
TALLAHASSEE, FL.– The Florida State women’s tennis team concluded a successful weekend with a 5-2 win over Clemson this afternoon in Clemson, S.C. The Seminoles improve to 11-9 overall on the season and now hold a 3-3 record in the ACC.
Florida State took an early lead in all three doubles matches, winning easily at No. 1 where Samantha Schoeffel and Jessica Balbuena defeated Anna Dolinska and Laurence Jayet, 8-2.
However, the Tiger tandem of Milena Stanoycheva and Anna Savitskaya came back from a 2-6 deficit at No. 3 doubles to defeat FSU’s Marina Raic and Natalie Carratala’, 8-6.
In a very close match at the No. 2 position Alida Gallovits and Nanette Duxin came through for the Noles as they defeated Ana Stiglic and Christina Oldock, 9-7, thereby clinching the first point of the day for Florida State.
The Seminoles really stepped it up in singles, taking four out of six matches in straight sets. Samantha Schoeffel took less than an hour to defeat Clemson’s Christina Oldock, 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 2 position and team mate Alida Gallovits did not need much longer to get the win over Anna Savitskaya, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1.
Marina Raic clinched the overall match for the Seminoles with a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 6 over Anna Dolinska, while Nanette Duxin added another point on the board for the Noles as she defeated Laurence Jayet at No. 5, 6-4, 6-2.
Clemson claimed two points with wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, but the final score read 5-2 in favor of Florida State.
Next up for the women are the last two matches of the regular season as Florida State will prepare to take on ACC opponents Maryland and Virginia on the road this upcoming week.
Florida State 5
1. Alida Gallovits (FSU) d. Anna Savitskaya (CU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Samantha Schoeffel (FSU) d. Christina Oldock (CU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Milena Stanoycheva (CU) d. Jessica Balbuena (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Ana Stiglic (CU) d. Christina Denny (FSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Nanette Duxin (FSU) d. Laurence Jayet (CU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Marina Raic (FSU) d. Anna Dolinska (CU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Schoeffel/Balbuena (FSU) d. Jayet/Dolinska (CU) 8-2
2. Duxin/Gallovits (FSU) d. Oldock/Stiglic (CU) 9-7
3. Stanoucheva/Savitskaya (CU) d. Raic/Natalie Carratala (FSU) 8-6