April 11, 2001
TALLAHASSEE, FL.–The Florida State women’s tennis team took on Maryland this afternoon in Charlotte, NC, and the Seminoles collected their third straight victory on the road as they defeated the Terrapins, 6-1. The win puts Florida State at 12-9 on the season, 4-3 in ACC play, while Maryland drops to 5-11 overall, 0-6 in the ACC.
The day started off with the doubles portion and the Seminoles captured the point by winning two out of three matches. Samantha Schoeffel and Jessica Balbuena teamed to win their 11th match of the season as they defeated Maryland’s Delia Causevic and Pam Floro, 8-2 at No. 1. Maryland got a win at No. 3 where Olivia Dubovikov and Chloe Chavardes took an 8-3 win over Marina Raic and Natalie Carratala’, but FSU’s No. 2 tandem of Nanette Duxin and Alida Gallovits clinched the first point of the day with an 8-4 win over Cathlerine Valentine and Emily Marker.
Florida State came through on five courts in singles, getting straight set wins from Jessica Balbuena at No.3, who defeated Pam Floro by a score of 6-3, 7-6, and Nanette Duxin at No. 4, who rolled past Catherine Valentine, 6-3, 6-2. Also earning a point for the Noles was Samantha Schoeffel at No. 2. Schoeffel took the first set against Olivia Dubovikov, 6-0, and only had to play three more games as her opponent defaulted in the second set.
Alida Gallovits at No. 1 and Marina Raic at No. 6 singles had a much tougher time against their opponents but both showed their strength in the end. Gallovits came through after three grueling sets, defeating Maryland’s Delia Causevic, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4, while Raic toughed it out against Chloe Chavardes, winning 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
The women will play their last regular season match tomorrow, April 12th, as they are scheduled to take on Virginia at 11:00 a.m.
#43 Florida State 6
NR Maryland 1
1. Alida Gallovits (FSU) def. Delia Causevic (UM) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
2. Samantha Schoeffel (FSU) def. Olivia Dubovikov (UM) 6-0, 1-2 default
3. Jessica Balbuena (FSU) def. Pam Floro (UM) 6-3, 7-6
4. Nanette Duxin (FSU) def. Catherine Valentine (UM) 6-3, 6-2
5. Emily Marker (UM) def. Christina Denny (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Marina Raic (FSU) def. Chloe Chavardes (UM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
1. Schoeffel/Balbuena (FSU) def. Causevic/Floro (UM) 8-2
2. Duxin/Gallovits (FSU) def. Valentine/Marker (MD) 8-4
3. Dubovikov/Chavardes (UM) def. Raic/Carratala’ (FSU) 8-3