April 12, 2002
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — The Florida State men’s tennis team was unable to overcome a strong singles effort by the Yellow Jackets Friday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center on the campus of Georgia Tech. With the loss, the Seminoles fall to 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the ACC. The Yellow Jackets finish out their ACC schedule with a 5-3 record and move to 13-8 overall.
In doubles action, the Seminoles fought through tiebreaks at both the no. 2 and no. 3 position to take the doubles point. Mat Cloer and Jarrod Owen took their match over the Tech tandem of Scott Schnugg and West Nott, winning 11-9 in a tiebreak. At no. 3 doubles for the Seminoles, Gustav Bucht and Romain Jurd defeated Jaeo Menano and Stephen Moros in a 9-8 decision which was also decided in a tiebreak.
In singles play, the Seminoles, after taking a 3-1 lead, were unable to hold on as the Yellow Jackets eked out the victory by taking the three remaining matches. Senior Xavier Luscan, ranked 38th nationally, defeated Tech’s Roger Anderson, ranked 35th, at no. 1 singles, 5-7, 7-5 (ret.). Cloer clinched the other singles point for the Seminoles with his fifteenth singles victory in dual match play. Cloer defeated Schnugg, 6-3, 6-4 at no. 3 singles.
The Seminoles return home to complete their regular season against 11th ranked Duke on Sunday. That match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. Admission is free to the public.
#46 GEORGIA TECH 4, #47 FLORIDA STATE 3
1. Xavier Luscan (FSU) d. Roger Anderson (GT), 5-7, 7-5, Ret.
2. David Wright (GT) d. Romain Jurd (FSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Mat Cloer (FSU) d. Scott Schnugg (GT), 6-3, 6-4
4. Joao Menano (GT) d. Chip Webb (FSU), 6-2, 6-0
5. West Nott (GT) d. Gustav Bucht (FSU), 7-6 (5), 6-4
6. Stephen Moros (GT) d. Jeff Scarella (FSU), 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-1
1. Anderson/Wright (GT) d. Luscan/Webb (FSU), 8-3
2. Cloer/Owen (FSU) d. Schnugg/Nott (GT), 9-8 (9)
3. Brucht/Jurd (FSU) d. Menano/Campos (GT), 9-8 (2)