SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) – Miranda Drummond scored a career-high 38 points, including 11 straight late in the fourth quarter that lifted Syracuse to a 76-69 win over No. 11 Florida State on Sunday.
Drummond’s 3-point play put the Orange (14-3, 2-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) on top 58-56, the 13th lead change, with 7 1/2 minutes to go. She followed that with a layup and then hit a pair of 3-pointers for a 66-56 lead at the 2:42 mark.
The Seminoles (14-3, 2-1), who had won four straight, got four quick points but Drummond nailed her seventh 3-pointer and the Orange made 7 of 10 free throws in the last 69 seconds to finish the upset.
Drummond’s 38 points were the third-most in school history, three behind Vaida Sipaviciute in 2005, and the seven 3s are one shy of the record. Drummond did break the school record of 36 points Nichole Michael scored in the Carrier Dome in 2009, but she was two points shy of Carrier Dome record of 40 by Florida State’s Natasha Howard four seasons ago.
Imani Wright had 20 points for Florida State with AJ Alix and Shakayla Thomas adding 12 apiece. The Seminoles trailed 21-8 late in the first quarter but cut the deficit to 34-33 at the half and led by one entering the fourth quarter.
• Imani Wright recorded her 34th career double-figure points game as a Seminole and moved into sixth place all-time at FSU in 3-point field goals made.
• Wright’s 20 points was her sixth 20-point game of the season and her eighth of her career.
• Shakayla Thomas recorded her 91st career double-figure game and her 14th of the season.
• Ama Degbeon racked up a game-high 12 rebounds against Syracuse, one short of her career high of 13 against Sacred Heart this season.
• Florida State recorded a season-high 24 offensive rebounds against the Orange.
• FSU out-scored the Orange 23-7 in second-chance points.
• Syracuse sophomore guard Tiana Mangakahia was limited in the points column after scoring 44 points vs. Georgia Tech. She was held to 1-of-9 shooting (six points) but did have 13 assists.