LAKE NONA, Fla. – The second-ranked Florida State women’s tennis team (12-3) fell for just the third time this season as they lost 4-3 to No. 5 Ohio State in a match that lasted over four hours.
Florida State jumped out to an early lead to begin the late afternoon College MatchDay event. They earned doubles wins from both courts one and three. Junior Petra Hule and freshman Victoria Allen struck first taking court one 6-4. Ohio State punched right back earning a 6-4 win of their own on court two. On court three junior Emmanuelle Salas and freshman Sasha Hill were in an early hole down 4-1 but stormed back to tie it at five. They would go on to a tiebreaker that they would win 7-2 to win the match and the doubles point for the Noles.
Ohio State struck first in singles tying the match with a win on court one 6-3, 6-1 and then took their first lead with a 6-3, 6-2 win on court two. The Garnet and Gold responded with wins on courts three and five.
Allen evened the match up at two with a 6-4, 6-4 win on court five and then Das gave the Noles back the lead with a 6-4, 6-3 win on court three. Ohio State tied it up once again with a 7-5, 6-3 win on court six.
The match all came down to Sasha Hill on court four. She would win the first set 6-4 before losing the second in a tiebreaker 7-5. Hill fell behind early in the final set 5-2 but showed extreme grit to fight it back to five all. Ohio State would go on to take the final two games and the match 4-3.
The Seminoles head on the road next week to take on Clemson on Friday, March 6 and Virginia on Sunday, March 8.
Keep up with the Seminoles by visiting Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information or keep up with the team on social media via Twitter (@FSU_WTennis), Facebook (/FSUWTennis), and Instagram (@FSUWTennis).
#5 Ohio State 4, #2 Florida State University 3
1. #11 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Emmanuelle Salas (FS) 6-3, 6-1
2. #60 Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Petra Hule (FS) 6-3, 6-2
3. #83 Nandini Das (FS) def. Isabelle Boulais (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Kolie Allen (OSU) def. Sasha Hill (FS) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
5. Victoria Allen (FS) def. #54 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Luna Dormet (OSU) def. Andrea Garcia (FS) 7-5, 6-3
1. #30 Victoria Allen/Petra Hule (FS) def. #53 Kolie Allen/Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) 6-4
2. Shiori Fukuda/Luna Dormet (OSU) def. #58 Nandini Das/Andrea Garcia (FS) 6-4
3. Sasha Hill/Emmanuelle Salas (FS) def. Isabelle Boulais/Danielle Wolf (OSU) 7-6 (7-2)
Ohio State 8-3; National ranking #5
Florida State University 12-3; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,5,3,6,4)