Atlanta, Ga. – The No. 33 Florida State men’s tennis team (9-4, 0-1 ACC) fell 5-2 at the No. 12 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (9-2, 2-0 ACC) Sunday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
As they often do, the Seminoles were able to jump out to a 1-0 lead after claiming the doubles point. Redshirt juniors Lucas Poullain and Jose Gracia got the win on court two, downing Georgia Tech’s Christopher Eubanks/Daniel Yun 7-5, while junior Guy Iradukunda and sophomore Aziz Dougaz defeated No. 48 Carlos Benito/Carlos Divar 7-6 (4) in a tiebreak to clinch the doubles point.
The Seminoles were unable to capitalize on that momentum and found themselves down a set on all but one court early in the match and were unable to recover as Georgia Tech clinched the match at 4-1.
“We had opportunities,” Florida State head coach Dwayne Hultquist said. “We didn’t capitalize on those opportunities. We had tight first sets on three and five.
“We lost some big points today and I think that was a key factor. Georgia Tech is a really good team that is having a great year, and it’s always hard to win on the road in the ACC.”
A bright spot for Seminoles was Gracia’s 6-4, 7-5 straight set win over Divar on court four.
“It was a good win for Jose to come back and win in straight sets,” Hultquist said. “He really played to his strengths hitting a bunch of big serves at big times. He played the right style of tennis today.”
Next up, the Seminoles travel to the newly-constructed USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. to take on the No. 13 Florida Gators as part of the USTA College Matchday series. The match will take place on Friday March 10 at 6:00 p.m. and will be livestreamed on ESPN3.
“We are expecting a big crowd and big match this Friday against Florida at the USTA College Matchday,” Hultquist said. “We’re hoping some people in Tallahassee will drive down and that our supporters in Orlando will come out to the match.”
Fans wishing to attend are encouraged to RSVP to reserve free tickets here: http://collegematchday2017.com/
For more information on Florida State tennis, check out:
#12 Georgia Tech 5, #33 Florida State 2
1. #7 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #84 Guy Iradukunda (FS) 6-1, 6-2
2. #53 Andrew Li (GT) def. #94 Aziz Dougaz (FS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Lucas Poullain (FS) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 7-6 (15-13)
4. Jose Gracia (FS) def. Carlos Divar (GT) 6-4, 7-6
5. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Terrance Whitehurst (FS) 7-5, 6-4
6. Daniel Yun (GT) def. Alex Knaff (FS) 6-4, 6-2
1. Guy Iradukunda/Aziz Dougaz (FS) def. #48 Carlos Benito/Carlos Divar (GT) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Lucas Poullain/Jose Gracia (FS) def. Christopher Eubanks/Daniel Yun (GT) 7-5
3. Cole Fiegel/Andrew Li (GT) def. Terrell Whitehurst/Terrance Whitehurst (FS) 6-2
Florida State 9-4; National ranking #33
Georgia Tech 9-2; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,6,5,4,3)