April 22, 2010
CARY, N.C. – The No. 28 Florida State men’s tennis team won the first round of the ACC Championships with a 4-0 victory over No. 49 Clemson. The Seminoles quickly won the doubles point to jump start their three straight wins in singles. The Seminoles will face No. 2 seed Duke tomorrow at noon at the Cary Tennis Center.
“I thought we had two key points of the match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “First was Jean-Yves coming back from the 5-0 deficit and having a very strong performance from Jordan against a very strong competitor.”
Senior Jean-Yves Aubone (Miami, Fla.) clinched the match for the Seminoles on court one. Aubone was down 5-0 in the first set before he bounced back to win five straight games and won the first set 7-6 (3). In the second set he used that momentum to win 6-1. Earlier in the day, he was announced as a member of the All-ACC team for the third consecutive year.
Senior Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) won the first singles match for the Seminoles. On court two, he faced Kevin Galloway and dropped only the first match before winning the next 12. Freshman Jordan Kelly-Houston (Christchurch, New Zealand) finished second for the Seminoles posting a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court four against Roc Bizjak.
In doubles play, the No. 38 tandem of Aubone and junior Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.) quickly defeated Moran/Bolona 8-1 on court two. The freshmen team of Anderson Reed (Daphne, Ala.) and Kelly-Houston won 8-5 on court three against Dettinger/Bizjak.
Seminole fans can log onto Seminoles.com for live stats tomorrow or visit theacc.com to purchase tickets to the match.
No. 7 Seed Florida State 4 def. No. 10 Seed Clemson
1) No. 37 Smith/Mirzadeh (FSU) vs. No. 48 DiFazio/Boryachinskiy (CU) 5-4 DNF
2) No. 38 Aubone/Bowles (FSU) def. Moran/Bolona (CU) 8-1
3) Reed/Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Dettinger/Bizjak (CU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2,3
1) No. 25 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. Derek DiFazio (CU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
2) No. 57 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Kevin Galloway (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3) No. 72 Clint Bowles (FSU) vs. Carlos Alvarez (CU) 6-3, 3-6, 3-4 DNF
4) Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Roc Bizjak (CU) 6-1, 6-4
5) Connor Smith (FSU) vs. Gora Boryachinskiy (CU) 5-7, 6-3, 0-1 DNF
6) Anderson Reed (FSU) vs. Wesley Moran (CU) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 DNF
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1*