Feb. 5, 2010
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 21 Florida State women’s tennis team opened its three-day road trip with a win over No. 32 Illinois, 4-3, to improve its record to 3-1. The Seminoles now face their hardest opponent of the season in No. 2 Northwestern Sunday, February 7, at 11 a.m.
“I have to commend our girls on their first campaign playing inside,” FSU Associate Head Coach Oliver Foreman said. “Illinois is a strong team with exceptional depth in their lineup and pulling of a 4-3 victory away with a very rowdy Illinois crowd is a great achievement.”
FSU started the domination early by earning the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Amy Sargeant and Jessica Sucupira teamed up to post the first win over Megan Fudge and Breanne Smutko, 9-7, while Lauren McCreless and Francesca Segarelli posted the same score over Leigh Finnegan and Rachael White to help FSU earn the 1-0 lead into singles.
“Our seniors today, Lauren and Jess, led with pure heart and passion,” Coach Foreman said. “Their leadership won this match for us today, pulling off two great doubles matches for the point, and coming back in both their singles matches to clinch the win for us. I have seen improvements in our doubles play over the last few matches, which will be crucial for us when we get ready for ACC play.”
Singles saw the ‘Noles having to take their game to the next level after Illinois marked two points with wins on court two and four to position the Illini ahead 2-1.
Court three featured No. 62 Francesca Segarelli surpassing Chelcie Abajian 6-4, 6-3 to tie up the score 2-2. Senior Jessica Sucupira battled on court six to earn FSU’s third point with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-0 victory over Amy Allin.
After a fall from Federica Suess on court five to let the Illini mark its third point, senior Lauren McCreless, ranked No. 23, stepped up for the ‘Noles as she triumphed over No. 33 Rachael White 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 to secure the victory for Florida State.
Follow FSU in their match against the Wildcats by clicking here. Fans can also keep up with the Seminoles on Twitter @fsu_wtennis.
1. #23 Lauren McCreless (FSU) def. #33 Rachael White (ILL) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Megan Fudge (ILL) def. Katie Rybakova (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #62 Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) 6-4, 6-3
4. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. #115 Amy Sargeant (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Federica Suess (FSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
6. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Amy Allin (ILL) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
1. Lauren McCreless/Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Leigh Finnegan/Rachael White (ILL) 9-7
2. Marisa Lambropoulos/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Federica Suess/Katie Rybakova (FSU) 8-3
3. Amy Sargeant/Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Megan Fudge/Breanne Smutko (ILL) 9-7