Feb. 20, 2004
HOUSTON, TEXAS –
In order to build a program that garners national merit, Florida State University men’s tennis coach Dwayne Hultquist knows his team has to take on the best programs in the country. Taking on it second ranked opponent on the road, the Seminoles dropped a tough 4-2 decision to 23rd-ranked Rice on Friday (February 20).
For the first time this season Florida State (4-3 overall) did not win the doubles point. Facing its toughest competition of the season, the 15th-ranked FSU tandem of Jeff Groslimond (Atlanta, Ga.) and Chris Westerhof (Durban, South Africa) dropped an 8-3 decision to No. 3 William and Richard Barker.
The closest doubles match of the day came at No. 2 where Mat Cloer (Brevard, N.C.) and Jonathas Sucupira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) fell 9-8 (5) to Tony Haerle and Take Morita. In the third doubles bout, the team of Jarrod Owen (Vero Beach, Fla.) and Chip Webb (Chattanooga, Tenn.) lost 8-1 to Ben Harknett and Robert Searle.
Florida State picked up its first point of the afternoon when Westerhof came through with his third-straight doubles victory, taking down Harknett 6-1, 7-5 at No. 5. Picking up the Seminoles second point was Owen at number six as he came through with a 6-3, 6-4 triumph over Jason Mok.
Rice (8-0) collected the team victory on the strength of its singles line-up which features three-ranked players. At No. 1 singles, 15th-ranked Searle beat No. 29 Cloer 6-3, 6-3, while William Barker, rated 22nd in the country, took down Sucupira 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2. The Owls closed out the match at No. 4 singles when Haerle beat Webb 7-5, 6-3. The match between Groslimond and #67 Richard Barker was suspended.
#23 Rice 4, #36 Florida State 2
1. #3 Barker/Barker (RU) def. #15 Groslimond/Westerhof (FSU), 8-3
2. Haerle/Take Morita (RU) def. Cloer/Sucupira (FSU), 9-8 (5)
3. Harknett/Searle (RU) def. Owen/Webb (FSU), 8-1
1. #15 Robert Searle (RU) def. #29 Mat Cloer (FSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. #22 William Barker (RU) def. Jonathas Sucupira (FSU), 6-3, 6-1
3. #67 Richard Barker (RU) vs. Jeff Groslimond (FSU), suspended
4. Tony Haerle (RU) def. Chip Webb (FSU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Chris Westerhof (FSU) def. Ben Harknett (RU), 6-1, 7-5
6. Jarrod Owen (FSU) def. Jason Mok (RU), 6-3, 6-4