Tallahassee, Fla. – The No. 25 ranked Florida State men’s tennis team (11-4, 2-1) falls on the road to Miami (10-2, 3-0) 4-0 for their first loss in ACC play.
The Garnet and Gold started off the match losing their seventh doubles point of the season. Miami struck first on court one with their No. 23 ranked pair winning 6-0. Senior Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and sophomore Richard Thongoana punched back with a 6-1 win on court three to tie things up. With the doubles point on the line, Miami fought back to take court two 6-4 and secure the doubles point.
The Seminoles started off slow in singles, losing four first sets. Miami took a 2-0 lead after a 6-3, 6-1 win on court four and expanded that to a 3-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-4 win on court two.
No. 74 ranked Alex Knaff fought back to take the second set on court one 6-3 to take it to a third set against No. 39 Adria Soriano Barrera of Miami. The senior was unable to hold on as his opponent would go on to take the final set 6-3 to clinch the match for Miami.
The Seminoles now travel back to Tallahassee as they host Duke on March 13th at 5:30 p.m. on ACC Network Extra and North Carolina on March 15th at 1 p.m.
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram (@FSU_MTennis).
#31 Miami 4, #25 Florida State University 0
1. #39 Adria Soriano Barrera (UM) def. #74 Alex Knaff (FS) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Francisco Bastias (UM) def. Sebastian Arcila (FS) 6-3, 6-4
3. Benjamin Hannestad (UM) vs. Loris Pourroy (FS) 3-6, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) def. Marcus Walters (FS) 6-3, 6-1
5. Franco Aubone (UM) vs. #109 Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) 6-7 (5-7), 5-3, unfinished
6. Will Grattan-Smith (UM) vs. Chase Wood (FS) 3-6, 6-5, unfinished
1. #23 Franco Aubone/Benjamin Hannestad (UM) def. Alex Knaff/Loris Pourroy (FS) 6-0
2. #56 Francisco Bastias/Adria Soriano Barrer (UM) def. Sebastian Arcila/Marcus Walters (FS) 6-4
3. Rana Roop Bhullar/Richard Thongoana (FS) def. Bojan Jankulovski/Stephen Madonia (UM) 6-1
Florida State University 11-4, 2-1 ACC; National ranking #25
Miami 10-2, 3-0 ACC; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,1)