December 19, 2004 - by
Seminoles Fall To Maryland In Overtime, 90-88

Dec. 19, 2004

Box Score

AP Sports Writer

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) – John Gilchrist made two free throws with 6.6
seconds left in overtime to cap a 21-point, 13-rebound performance, and No. 23
Maryland opened defense of its Atlantic Coast Conference title by squeezing
past Florida State 90-88 Sunday night.

Gilchrist’s two free throws snapped a tie, and the Terrapins (6-2) held on
after having blown a 13-point lead. Six Maryland players scored in double
figures, including D.J. Strawberry, who had five of his 11 points in overtime.

Adam Waleskowski led the Seminoles (5-5) with 23 points, a worthy encore to
his career-high 24-point performance against South Alabama on Thursday. But
Florida State committed 25 turnovers in losing its 25th consecutive ACC road

Maryland opened its league schedule last season by losing at Florida State
and went 7-9 in the conference before winning the ACC tournament for the first
time since 1984. For a while, it appeared as if the Terrapins would again drop
their league opener.

The Seminoles scored the first two baskets in overtime, but Strawberry
answered with three free throws in six attempts, then scored off a steal to put
Maryland up 85-84.

Von Wafer scored on a tip-in for FSU before Mike Jones hit a 3-pointer for
Maryland, his only points of the game.

After Jason Rich hit a jumper to tie it, Gilchrist made two free throws. But
the victory wasn’t ensured until a 3-point attempt by Wafer bounced off the

The Terrapins led by seven at halftime and 59-46 with 14:28 left, but
Florida State used a 12-3 run to take its first lead, 79-78 with 1:38 left. The
game went into overtime tied at 80 after Maryland’s Nik Caner-Medley missed
badly on a baseline jumper at the end of regulation.

Gilchrist, a junior guard, recorded his second career double-double and led
the Terrapins with eight assists.

FSU trailed by nine points before Waleskowski made a 3-pointer, two free
throws and a layup in a 7-1 run that made it 66-63. Chris McCray then made two
foul shots and Caner-Medley added a three-point play to ignite a 9-4 spurt that
put Maryland up 75-67 with 5:28 left.

But the lead wouldn’t last, in part because the Terrapins failed to make a
field goal over the final 3:22 of regulation.

Related Articles