Before the match, the Seminoles presented the Falcons with “challenge coins,” a military tradition that honors achievement and sacrifice. FSU’s Air Force ROTC performed the presentation of colors, and Air Force senior Jocelle Rudico sang the national anthem before the match. Three Florida State student veterans participated in the prematch coin flip.
“It means so very much to our women’s tennis program to have so many people supporting the event that we put on for our student veterans,” Hyde said. “The numbers keep growing in the clinics that we’re doing, which is a great sign of the support we have and the bridge that we’ve gapped with the student veterans and the veterans in the community as being a part of our FSU women’s tennis family.”
The Seminoles took the doubles point and lead the match 3-0 on the strength of senior Daniela Schippers and Andrea Garcia’s victories on courts four and six. Freshman Nandini Das clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Air Force’s Elizabeth Barnickel.
The match was played out, and the Falcons were able to get on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court two. Junior Gabriella Castaneda retired down a set on court one to put the score at 4-2.
Sophomore Ariana Rahmanparast came back after dropping the second set to win 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 on court five to wrap the match at 5-2 in favor of the Seminoles.
“As far as the match, I was happy to see Nandini Das get her first clinch,” Hyde said. “Ariana (Rahmanparast) played really well to come back to win in three sets. We did a good job settling into our singles matches and I was happy that we stepped up on the courts that we did.”
The 5:00 p.m. match against Florida A&M was pushed back to 6:00 p.m. The singles were played first and the match was not played out.
The Seminoles jumped out to lead on all courts in the first set and never looked back, quickly grabbing the 4-0 victory over the Rattlers. Freshman Gabrielle Goldin clinched the victory with a 6-2, 6-0 win on court six in her first ever appearance as a Seminole.
The Seminoles are now 2-0 all-time against Air Force with the lone prior meeting coming in 2015. The Noles improved to 16-0 all-time over the Rattlers.
The matches and prematch ceremonies were originally scheduled to be played at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center but were relocated to the FSU Indoor Tennis Facility due to rain.
Next up, the Seminoles head to Coral Gables this Tuesday February 21 to take on the Miami Hurricanes and Florida Atlantic Owls.
For more information on Florida State tennis, check out:
Florida State 5, Air Force 2
1. Chloe Forlini (VIS) def. Gabriella Castaneda (FS) 6-0, 6-6, retired
2. TJ Fumagalli (VIS) def. Julia Mikulski (FS) 6-3, 6-3
3. Nandini Das (FS) def. Elizabeth Barnickel (VIS) 6-3, 6-3
4. Daniela Schippers (FS) def. Lil Forlini (VIS) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) def. Nadeen lieberman (VIS) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
6. Andrea Garcia (FS) def. Jocelle Rudico (VIS) 6-3, 6-0
1. Elizabeth Barnickel/TJ Fumagalli (VIS) def. Andrea Garcia/Julia Mikulski (FS) 7-5
2. Nandini Das/Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) def. Chloe Forlini/Jocelle Rudico (VIS) 6-1
3. Daniela Schippers/Gabriella Castaneda (FS) def. Lil Forlini/Nadeen lieberman (VIS) 6-4
Florida State 4, FAMU 0
1. Julia Mikulski (FS) vs. Olivia Rolle (VIS) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
2. Nandini Das (FS) def. Arrice Robinson (VIS) 6-0, 6-1
3. Daniela Schippers (FS) vs. Dominique Henry (VIS) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
4. Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) def. Sophia Osabouhien (VIS) 6-0, 6-1
5. Andrea Garcia (FS) def. Kiara Shaw (VIS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Gabrielle Goldin (FS) def. Karen Machisa (VIS) 6-2, 6-0
1. Daniela Schippers/Nandini Das (FS) vs. Dominique Henry/Olivia Rolle (VIS) unfinished
2. Gabrielle Goldin/Julia Mikulski (FS) vs. Arrice Robinson/Sophia Osabouhien (VIS) unfinished
3. Ariana Rahmanparast/Andrea Garcia (FS) vs. Elizabeth Clayton/Kiara Shaw (VIS) unfinished