LUBBOCK, Texas- The Florida State men’s tennis team (6-2) jumped ahead a never looked back, defeating host Texas Tech Red Raiders (2-3) 4-1 at the McLeod Tennis Center on Sunday.
“It was a good team win, especially playing without (No. 59 junior Guy Iradukunda). (Redshirt juniors Jose Gracia and Lucas Poullain and freshman Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar) all stepped up,” Florida State head coach Dwayne Hultquist said. “There was great doubles energy from all six guys- it was great to see the guys play hard for each other.”
The Seminoles were indeed without their top-ranked player in Iradukunda, who missed the match with injury, causing freshman Alex Knaff to start alongside sophomore Aziz Dougaz at the number one doubles court. Juniors Terrance Whitehurst and Terrell Whitehurst defeated Ronit Bisht/Pyry Hyrkkonen 6-3, and Gracia/Poullain defeated Connor Curry/Carlos DiLaura 6-3 to claim the doubles point.
In singles, Gracia earned an impressive 7-5, 6-2 win over No. 104 Curry, followed by Poullain’s 6-4, 6-3 victory over Alex Sendegeya.
“I thought Lucas had one of the best wins we’ve had this spring,” Hultquist said.
No. 120 Ronit Bisht defeated Terrell Whitehurst 6-3, 6-4 to make the match 3-1 in favor of the Seminoles, but Bhullar stepped up and registered a 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 win over DiLaura on court six to clinch the Florida State victory.
Florida State’s four newcomers have stepped up in a big way so far in 2017. In addition to Iradukunda commanding the top spot, Poullain has solidified his position on court three, and freshmen Knaff and Bhullar have answered the bell when called upon to step into the lineup.
The Noles will not be off for over a week before returning home on February 11, a doubleheader against George Washington and College of Charleston at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Florida State vs Texas Tech 01/29/17 at Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
Florida State 4, Texas Tech 1
1. #25 Jolan Cailleau (TT) vs. #71 Aziz Dougaz (FS) 6-3, 2-6, 5-2, unfinished
2. Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Alex Sendegeya (TT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jose Gracia (FS) def. #104 Connor Curry (TT) 7-5, 6-2
4. Bjorn Thomson (TT) vs. Terrance Whitehurst (FS) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
5. #120 Ronit Bisht (TT) def. Terrell Whitehurst (FS) 6-3, 6-4
6. Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) def. Carlos DiLaura (TT) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
1. #60 Alex Sendegeya/Bjorn Thomson (TT) vs. Aziz Dougaz/Alex Knaff (FS) 4-4, unfinished
2. Jose Gracia/Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Connor Curry/Carlos DiLaura (TT) 6-3
3. Terrell Whitehurst/Terrance Whitehurst (FS) def. Ronit Bisht/Pyry Hyrkkonen (TT) 6-3
Match Notes: Florida State 6-2
Texas Tech 2-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,5,6) T-2:25 A-132
For more information on Florida State tennis, check out: