TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Seminoles.com) – The No. 12/10 Florida State Women’s Basketball team hits the road for a big-time matchup at No. 8 Texas on Sunday in what will be a 12:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. CT tip on FS1.
Revenge is on the mind of FSU. Both teams waged a classic 92-88 double overtime thriller won by the Longhorns in Tallahassee last year (Feb. 13, 2017). FSU held a 77-73 advantage over the Longhorns with 3:10 remaining in the first overtime but ultimately could not hold on in the end.
Ironically, FSU enters its matchup with Texas riding a 10-game win streak for the second straight year, as it also held a 10-game streak going into last year’s game. The Seminoles’ 10-game win streak is tied for the ninth-longest in program history, as they seek to match the program record of 12 straight wins that have occurred twice (2004-05 season and 2016-17 season).
Aside from last year’s game, two Seminoles have strong familiarity with the Longhorns in Texas natives AJ Alix (Houston, Texas) and Imani Wright (Hooks, Texas). Sunday’s matchup will be Alix’s seventh game against Texas after facing the Longhorns six times with TCU. This will also be Wright’s seventh game against the Longhorns, and as a sophomore at Baylor in 2014-15 she averaged 13.7 points against them in three games.
• Florida State is going for its 15th Associated Press Top 10 victory as a program on Sunday. Since 2015, FSU has taken down five AP Top 10 teams in Louisville three times (Jan. 22, 2015, at home – 68-63; March 7, 2015, ACC Semifinals – 66-51; Jan. 12, 2017, at home – 72-65), Arizona State (March 27, 2015, NCAA Sweet 16 – 66-65) and Oregon State (March 25, 2017, NCAA Sweet 16 – 66-53).
• The Seminoles are going for their fourth win this season against a ‘Power 5’ opponent, already owning wins against the SEC (84-54 over Florida), Big Ten (94-93 over Iowa) and Pac-12 (77-66 over Arizona State). In those three games, redshirt senior guard Imani Wright (19.7 points), senior forward Shakayla Thomas (19.3 points) and senior guard AJ Alix (17.0 points) have sparked the Noles.
• Only Florida State and Baylor rank in the Top 3 in the NCAA in scoring margin (+30.2 – third) and rebound margin (+15.8 – 3rd).
• The Seminoles are going for their sixth win over the current schools of the Big 12 conference. Two of their six victories have come against Iowa State.
• Shakayla Thomas will soon become the third Seminole with at least 1,600 career points and 700+ made field goals. She currently has 1,591 points and 693 made field goals.
• Nearly 76 percent of Florida State’s all-time AP Top 25 wins have come under Sue Semrau. She owns 41 of FSU’s 54 AP Top 25 victories.
• Redshirt senior guard AJ Alix has been an assists machine this season. She has 43.5 percent of FSU’s total assists this season, a share that is tied for the 17th-most among all players nationally.